Oil from exhaust after cam change

Laneman

Threads
I changed the cam on a 20hp Briggs Intek model 331877-0869-G5. Started it and now it's smoking blue out the exhaust. Ran about 3 or 4 minutes then shut it down. Set the valve clearance to 4 and 6, 1/4 inch after tdc on compression stroke. Oil is at full mark, running 30wt. Pre-lubed pushrods during assembly. Was not smoking before. I will say that I drained the oil by tipping the engine and pouring it out the dipstick tube, so maybe some got where it shouldn't. But it seems after 3 minutes it would have cleared out. Do I need to just run it more or did I do something wrong?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
did you run it at full throttle for 3 minutes or idle/low rpm?

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
why did you change the cam?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
why did you change the cam?
Most likely for ACR failure.

As try running it for at least 10 minutes as if oil got into the muffler it will take a while to clear as the muffler got to get hot enough to burn the oil off. Also note engines are bad about blowing head gaskets between the cylinder and the push rod galley and engine might be inhaling oil from the push rod galley.

Laneman

Threads
I ran it some more and the oil cleared out. Glad that cam change job is done, took me a long time. Hopefully the new cam ACR will last.