Oil for Honda HRX217 with GCV-190 Engine

Mr. Fixer Upper

Forum Newbie
Threads
I recently purchased a new mower and went with a Honda HRX217HYA. I'm really happy with the mower and want to take good care of it.

I am looking at the following oils for this machine:

Mobil 1 10W-30
Shell Rotella T5 10W-30 Semi-Synthetic because I have this oil for other equipment
Shell Rotella T6 5W40 Full synthetic because I use a lot of this in my motorcycles and quads so I have that too.

I likely will be changing the oil more often than the manual requests just because it's so easy and I'm not concerned about putting $10 extra a year into maintaining a $700 piece of equipment.

What oils are other GCV-190 engine owners using?

Mr. Fixer Upper

Forum Newbie
Threads
Personally I just use the conventional Honda oil, but read this thread....a lot of people use Mobile 1: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=354752 :smile:

Thanks for the feedback and the link reference. I only have 5 hours on the unit currently and I like to change the oil in engines with non-filtered lubrication systems a few times in the first 10 hours or so get purge the bulk of the wear metal during engine break in. I have zero concern with running synthetic during break-in.

My initial oil change interval schedule
0 Hours Factory Fill of Honda 10W-30
2 Hours Changed with Shell T5 10W-30 Semi Synthetic
6 Hours plan to change again
10 Hours plan to change again
TBD next interval but this may be determined by end of season rather than operating hours

cope784

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a similar Honda mower (HRX2174HYA). I plan to use Honda's recommended conventional oil for multiple oil changes during the break in period (25ish hours) and then switch to Mobil-1 fully synthetic. I wonder what robert@honda would say?

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Rule #1: Use SAE 10W-30 oil
Rule #2: Change the oil per the Maintenance Schedule in the owner's manual

Note:
--Synthetic oil is okay, as long as you stick to rule #1 and #2.

cope784

Forum Newbie
Threads
Rule #1: Use SAE 10W-30 oil
Rule #2: Change the oil per the Maintenance Schedule in the owner's manual

Note:
--Synthetic oil is okay, as long as you stick to rule #1 and #2.

Thanks for the input.