Oil coming out of breather tube

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Some oil vapor coming out of the breather tube is normal in most cases. spitting oil would indicate a stuck/broken ring and 16-20 ounces of oil would be normal for a push mower depending on brand. Tecumseh came in 16 ounce bottles, Briggs was 20 ounce and later changed to 18.

themikesell

Threads
Some oil vapor coming out of the breather tube is normal in most cases. spitting oil would indicate a stuck/broken ring and 16-20 ounces of oil would be normal for a push mower depending on brand. Tecumseh came in 16 ounce bottles, Briggs was 20 ounce and later changed to 18.
Thanks. This is a steady drip. I tried to post pictures, but it's not working for me.

Born2Mow

Threads
Manual says 20oz. Dip stick shows perfect level.
Correct. But isn't that AFTER the engine threw out ALL the excess ?

Wasn't that the first run of the season ?

Wasn't fuel left in the mower over winter ?

Several necessary questions aren't being answered.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No it was not, that was recommended from about 2010 until 2017, the dropped to 14-18, depending on engine brand.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Shut off valves are band aids, not repairs. Once you forget to shut it off you’re back to square one. Best to fix it right the first time. Done by people who are not responsible for their repairs on other peoples equipment.

themikesell

Threads
Correct. But isn't that AFTER the engine threw out ALL the excess ?

Wasn't that the first run of the season ?

Wasn't fuel left in the mower over winter ?

Several necessary questions aren't being answered.
Nope, fresh gas, and fresh oil.

themikesell

Threads
I think I'm just going to drain it again, and try running it with 17 ounces of oil.

Side note, I don't leave gas in engines over the winter. Or in my snowblower over the summer. And this mower was given to me because it didn't work.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
If the engine has the proper amount of oil and does not have a blown head gasket or excessive ring blowby then you probably have a problem with the crankcase breather. All small 4 stroke engines have a crankcase filled with oil mist (not vapor) and positive pressure when the engine is up to temp and running. The crankcase breather is designed to collect and precipitate out the oil and return it to the crankcase and vent the pressure out of the crankcase. Usually into the carb. On some briggs engines if the breather is installed upside down it will vent oil out the breather tube. I have no idea what the design of the breather on the engine is but it sounds like it is not working properly.

themikesell

Threads
If the engine has the proper amount of oil and does not have a blown head gasket or excessive ring blowby then you probably have a problem with the crankcase breather. All small 4 stroke engines have a crankcase filled with oil mist (not vapor) and positive pressure when the engine is up to temp and running. The crankcase breather is designed to collect and precipitate out the oil and return it to the crankcase and vent the pressure out of the crankcase. Usually into the carb. On some briggs engines if the breather is installed upside down it will vent oil out the breather tube. I have no idea what the design of the breather on the engine is but it sounds like it is not working properly.
Thanks for your insight. Inspection of the breather is next.

sallyphilip

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi folks!

I have a Toro 20374 recycler with a no name engine. At first I was getting frothy/foamy oil out of the breather tube. Now it just looks like regular oil coming out. There is a small amount of smoke too.

Oil level is correct at 20oz. Do you folks have any ideas as to what the problem may be? Carb is tight, muffler not clogged next step for me is checking the head gasket.
drain the oil at sometime water got in the oil and makes that foam