Oil change mystery

superkaz

Forum Newbie
Threads
So I have had a Craftsman 917.370693 (7.0 hp B&S I think) for a few years, and as I begin every season, I change the oil. This season is no different, in that when I tip the mower over to drain the oil (air filter up of course), I cant get but 4 or 5 ounces out, and the listed capacity is 20 oz. WTF am I doing wrong? :mad:

ps. A few more facts--1. no drain plug on the bottom, 2. service manual simply calls for a tip over to drain, and 3. dipstick showed full before I went to drain.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Are you warming up the mower before you start? Are you removing the dipstick when draining? Carb up means nothing when removing oil. Oil drain hole down is what is important.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you read your owners manual it will say drain gas tank and run mower till the carburetor is empty. Then it will be ok to tip the mower till you get all the oil out. It would be so much easier if the manufacture would just charge another couple of dollars and install a drain plug. I did see some time back that that B&S was making a small mower engine with a lifetime oil in it. I don't know how that ever worked out?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you read your owners manual it will say drain gas tank and run mower till the carburetor is empty. Then it will be ok to tip the mower till you get all the oil out. It would be so much easier if the manufacture would just charge another couple of dollars and install a drain plug. I did see some time back that that B&S was making a small mower engine with a lifetime oil in it. I don't know how that ever worked out?

Thanks I forgot to say drain gas first. Sometimes my fingers and brain do not connect.:laughing:

possum

Threads
Do not warm up the mower if the dipstick does not show full lol. Look under the mower where it was stored. Try putting the oil back in the mower and see if it fills it up. If 20 ounces are in the mower about 20 ounces should come out. No warming up needed. Just gravity.