Oil Capacity

Lenny870

Forum Newbie
Threads
Craftsman model 247.203722 has the 4P90HU engine. Does anyone know what the oil capacity supposed to be. I'm having trouble locating this info.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
57 fl.oz (1.7 liters).
SAE 10W-30 oil with an SM API rating or better.

Lenny870

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks...much appreciated. It seems I have a new problem. I noticed just now oil on my belt pulleys. Appears to be coming from the shaft seal. This is one of those 4P90HU engines. Will I have to tear the motor down to replace that seal or is it something that's pretty easy?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
With a appropriate seal puller it can be done without taking the engine. Of course the oil would need to be drained.

1662164255444.png

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
FWIW I stand the mower vertical
Remove the pulleys then screw some self tappers into the seal and use a claw hammer or wrecking bar to pull them out
BEfore you start to remove it measure the depth it is pushed into the crankcase as on some engines you can block off oil supply if pushed in too far
Polish the shaft so the new one will slide down easy
IF the keyway looks like it will chop into the seal a couple of turns of cling film or even heat shrink over the shaft will protect the seal lip

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You do risk damaging both the crankshaft and the cover plate (oil pan) when self tappers are used. I made my own pullers for removing these seals which don't the crankshaft or the cover plate. These are based on the commercial hook type pullers which are worthless or at the one I purchase that broke on the very first attempt. At least it was guaranteed to work so I got my money back.

Note these are rubber coated seals and are easier to get out then the non coated ones.