Oil Burning on Startup

enigma-2

Threads
If nothing else is at fault, check the crankcase breather for a blockage.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Please check your post information vs the engine in this post. I think you are advising the OP to hydro-lock his engine but it may just be my brain being flooded with all the rain here this morning.
I can't pull up his engine on the Briggs site. Looked to me as a 9ci 3.5hp engine??? You might be on to something Star Tech?? I don't know if he has a H or V crank either??

1635462392619.png

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a Briggs 9L902 0284-E1 3.5 that smokes on startup. This past winter I replaced the intake valve seal with an OE one since usually smoking on startup only is caused by that. Valve does not have play in guide either. Still smokes on startup. When I initially pulled off the head, there was a little oil collected between the piston and head. Sitting on the cylinder wall closest to the deck obviously. Not alot. I just find it odd if it was a cylinder wear/out-of-round or ring issue, it would smoke constantly and have low compression. Engine has good compression from the feel of it, and will start first pull; which makes me kind of doubt I have a compression issue. And it doesn't smoke alot and not for long. 2 seconds tops. After that it does not smoke anymore and if I restart hot will not smoke. Only when it sits for a week. We've had the mower since new and the engine has been meticulously maintained with oil changes every fall and clean air filters its whole life. Any ideas? Thanks
Is your engine like the one in the picture I posted?

Put of a picture of your engine on here. Or a video would be even better.

peteco

Threads
Don´t worry for a little smoke, go ahead

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
That is a routing error on Briggs site due to having select what the engine is on. Kinda dumb idea on Briggs part by programming the search engine that way when we don't what the engine is on. You kinda have to take an educated guess as to what it is on.

If you select "pressure washer" instead of "push mower" it will come up with 12 results.
1635519922927.png

Last edited: