Odor coming from Honda Harmony 215 PX

Redfox

Forum Newbie
Threads
I own a Honda Harmony 215 PX (not self-propelled) lawn mower. This mower was made in the mid 1990's and looks brand new. I think it was used once by the original owner. It was in storage indoors for all these years. I got it out, changed the oil, and it started on the first pull and runs great. I have mowed twice with it. The problem is that when I put it in the garage after mowing, the garage will develop a very distinctive and strong odor. At first, I thought it was some grass left under the deck (I got run into the garage by rain and didn't have time to clean the grass out). But, after the next mowing, I cleaned the under side of the deck thoroughly, and still had the same odor. This odor will last for over a week until the next time to mow. This mower may have been one of Honda's earliest uses of a plastic deck. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

LazerZLandscaping

Threads
I own a Honda Harmony 215 PX (not self-propelled) lawn mower. This mower was made in the mid 1990's and looks brand new. I think it was used once by the original owner. It was in storage indoors for all these years. I got it out, changed the oil, and it started on the first pull and runs great. I have mowed twice with it. The problem is that when I put it in the garage after mowing, the garage will develop a very distinctive and strong odor. At first, I thought it was some grass left under the deck (I got run into the garage by rain and didn't have time to clean the grass out). But, after the next mowing, I cleaned the under side of the deck thoroughly, and still had the same odor. This odor will last for over a week until the next time to mow. This mower may have been one of Honda's earliest uses of a plastic deck. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

What does the odor smell like

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
When you start it up does it smoke ?

Redfox

Forum Newbie
Threads
What does the odor smell like

At first I thought it might be some of the plastic on this mower overheating (this Honda has plastic everywhere, including the deck), but I later decided it smelled more like moldy grass. However, there does not appear to be any grass stuck under or in the mower. This odor is so potent that, if I open the inner garage door, the odor spreads into the house. The only thing I have done differently with this mower than I have with any other is put synthetic oil in it. I don't think that makes any difference though. The two times I started the mower when it was cold (choke on) it blew smoke for 1 or 2 seconds. The 2 seconds was the first time when it hadn't been started for about twenty years, but it started on the first pull. After it starts, it runs beautifully.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Could the smell be gas? Float stuck slightly open allowing gas to flow into the chamber and evaporate out into the air ?

Redfox

Forum Newbie
Threads
When you start it up does it smoke ?

I have started the mower two times when it was cold (choke on). Both times it blew some smoke for 1 or 2 seconds. The 2 seconds was the first time I started it when it had not been started for about twenty years. It started on the first pull, though. Restarting after that, no smoke, and it runs beautifully.
I am running synthetic oil in it. My first thoughts were of an overheating plastic or a moldy grass smell. No grass under or in the mower, though. This odor is so potent, it causes the entire garage smells like whatever it is.

Redfox

Forum Newbie
Threads
Could the smell be gas? Float stuck slightly open allowing gas to flow into the chamber and evaporate out into the air ?
The smell is definitely not gasoline.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
It's hard for us to identify odors over the computer. I say get a buddy to come look. Grass could be under the deck around the transmission. Could be in the wheels etc.

Engine smells are usually gas, or oil. As for your plastic smell that's very general. Anything else in the storage area could be making the smell? Dead bird somewhere?

Koamolly

Threads
Take off the engine cover, maybe you have a dead mouse or lizard under there.