Observations on my new HRX vs my Lawnboy Platinum/ Toro Superbagger

stygz

Threads
  • / Observations on my new HRX vs my Lawnboy Platinum/ Toro Superbagger
I thought I would post some observations after using my HRX for the first time. Some background: I have about a 4 year old Lawnboy Platinum series mower with a Briggs Quantum 6.75 tq rated engine and cast aluminum deck. Basically it is a green painted Toro Superbagger or Toro Super Recycler without the underside kickers/deflectors. The Lawnboy is not what you find at your local HD store, It is the kind you go to a dealer for. My lawn is just over .25 acres, flat and smooth. Grass type is hybrid Bermuda in the front and comon Bermuda in the back. The lawn is very thick and lush. My issue with my Lawnboy was lack of power and the high domed deck would hold/suspend clippings leaving piles at the end of each pass of the mower. Other than that I have had zero issues with the Personal Pace or quality of the cut.

So yesterday I gave the HRX217VKA a go. I had the deck set at 2.0". My previous cut/spring clean up was done at 1.5" bagged with the Lawnboy. The grass had actually grown more than I had thought. The HRX power was deffinatly apparent from the get go. My Lawnboy definatly would have been laboring (even with a sharp blade). I will note my Lawnboy is rated at 6.75 tq BUT there was a lawsuit against B&S for lower than advertised power ratings. With that said I am not sure what the actual power is on the Lawnboy. At the end of each pass the HRX would not leave the usual pile of clipping like the LB would (Full mulch mode). The cut quality was both excellent on the HRX and the LB. Maybe the HRX was alittle better but at this level its irrelevent. The HRX easily disengages for pulling the mower backwards. Actually it seems alittle more free moving than the LB. I had no issues with the smart drive. But it will take getting used to it just like I had to get used to the Personal Pace. For my lawn (size and landscaping) I like the smart drive vs having to grab and release the drive bail like on the cruise control models (Honda). I could see with certain types of lawns you may want that type of drive control. One thing I would like to see on the HRX is (just nit picking) better seal up of the clip director. The sound output seems to be about the same as the LB without using some sort of measuring device. The HRX does feel more solid overall. On a side note there is no comparison of a Toro Super Recycler vs the standard recycler. I have used both and the regular recycler feels almost cheap in comparison to the aluminum deck Toro. I finished the lawn in about the same time as usual. I wonder when I take my blade in for sharpening if I am going to be charged for one or two blades? Toro also has a great mower but for how thick my lawn is Toro needs to offer a 190cc OHV engine like Honda. If you have northern type grass you will not understand how tough a well fed Bermuda lawn is to cut....I know I have done both. I plan on getting a set of deck guards soon. It seems they have or are being discontinued. I wonder why? In the end I feel I accomplished what I set out to do.

1. More power
2. Stop the annoying piles of mulched grass at the end of a pass/turn around

P.S. How much should I ask for the LB? I paid $500 for it new. It is is excellent shape starts 1st pull with full warranty until Nov 2013 and extra engine warranty until Nov 2014. Extra blade included.

stygz

Threads
So what ever came of the leaking director. Its not really a big deal to me. the mulched clippings just drop directly behind the mower. I just need to clear them out befor I park the mower.

Threads
So what ever came of the leaking director. Its not really a big deal to me. the mulched clippings just drop directly behind the mower. I just need to clear them out befor I park the mower.

Well mine still "leaks", but not as bad as at the beginning. But it doesn't bother me! :rolleyes:

stygz

Threads
Well after a few cuts I have adjusted to the HRX. The cut is great and I can say that it does cut smoother than the Lawnboy. Also It does mulch better than the Lawnboy. Funny thing the other day I noticed something under the HRX. It looked like a plastic bag, I pulled it out and it was a large leaf like mulched grass (about 2ft by 6in). I should have taken a pic. BTW so far no sticking of grass under the deck. The 9" wheels seem to make carry over the lawn better.

Threads
Well after a few cuts I have adjusted to the HRX. The cut is great and I can say that it does cut smoother than the Lawnboy. Also It does mulch better than the Lawnboy. Funny thing the other day I noticed something under the HRX. It looked like a plastic bag, I pulled it out and it was a large leaf like mulched grass (about 2ft by 6in). I should have taken a pic. BTW so far no sticking of grass under the deck. The 9" wheels seem to make carry over the lawn better.

I knew you would be happy with it! :cool::thumbsup:

stygz

Threads
Oh yea the Lawnboy has been sold.

OregonJack

Forum Newbie
Threads
Congratulations on your new HRX - love that power! I continue to be pleasantly amazed by how well my HRX grooms the better areas of my lawn. I change the clip director more toward the bag setting as I take it over the 3 - 4 foot wild-lawn, but it does a super job on the full mulch setting for the "tamed" areas. What a great feature!