Tony

Attachments

• blade.jpg
    blade.jpg
    354.5 KB · Views: 20

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Clean the grass out of the bottom of the thread below the nut the best you can. Then either get a good impact or something to brace the blade and a lot breaker bar/cheater bar. I have had times that a 650 lb/ft impact wouldn't touch them without some heat first.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Looks like someone has rounded the corners a bit. You can try and see if a metric impact socket can be driven on with a hammer and loosened with an impact. Or get a torch and some mapp gas and heat the nut up cherry red and then squirt water from a garden hose to quench. If won't come off heat it again. If it gets too buggared up get a hacksaw and cut the nut just outside the shaft threads down to the blade. That will get it off for sure. Had a cust use wrong size socket on an impact and made the nut round once. Had to hacksaw the nut to get it off.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you get it hot enough to be cherry red then turn it while it is red.
A big pair of stilsons will work fine
As others have already mentioned the nut is already a throw away so it does not matter is you gouge it getting it off.
There are also magic tools called nut breakers that will cut through it without wrecking the threads.
You only need to get it a 1/2 turn.After that it will screw off by hand.

gsim

Threads
If you don't have access to acetylene or mapp gas outfit, or impact wrench/compressor, try this.
Use short block of wood to stop blade from moving. Insert between blade and discharge hole as you fit long box ent wrench over nut. Be certain you have coreect fit !!! Then use heavy shop happer to rap on wrench repeatedly. That will eventually start it turning. If that fails, buy nut cracker at local auto parts store or online. That will split the nut and it will easily come off. Then wire brush the threads on shaft, apply bit of grease to them, torque new nut in place. Avoid reassembling parts like this dry. A bit of lube will prevent future headaches. Most mower mfrs assemble parts other then internal engine parts dry. Leads to corrosion issues over time. Deck spiindles should always be lubed.

keakar

Threads
I can't loosen the nut.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tony
clean it up a bit with a file then use a 1/2" drive 6 point socket on it with a breaker bar and cheater pipe

then with a short block of wood wedged between the shell and blade tip to stop blade from moving it should break lose for you and add a bit of never seize to the threads when reinstalling it

i have had some require near everything i had to break it lose and the whole mower was turning so a friend had to hold it still lol.

Last edited:

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not sure how that spindle is made but if all else fails take the nut off the top, disassemble, pull the shaft and blade out, take to a local shop and have them get it off. Cost a couple bucks. Our local NAPA shop eats this stuff up just for fun.