Noob looking to learn! Troy-Bilt troubles!

Schteveo

Forum Newbie
I signed up because I have a Troy-Bilt 42" cut Pony that is kicking my (gr)***.

It sat for 3 years, spindles were trashed.

Installed new spindles, belt too lose. Compared the old / new spindles, new pulleys were an inch smaller

Put the old pulleys on the new spindles, engagement cable broke.

Replaced the cable, now when I engage the handle over half way, it kills the engine.

Engine off, I can spin the spindles AND the engine.

I'm a pretty good mechanic, but I just can't figure this one out.

My next move is to put on ONE small pulley and one large pulley...see what it gets me.

But if anyone has an idea / fix for this I'd love to hear it.
 
On the PTO lever is a switch.
This switch kills the engine if the blades are engaged and your bum gets off the seat.( plunger out )
It also prevents the engine from cranking if the blades are turned on.( plunger in )
Check what position on the engagement lever the plunger on the switch is fully extended.
If it coinsides with the position that then engine shuts down, you have an electrical problem with either that switch or the seat switch
 
Back
Top