noisy flywheel?

Rbb531

Forum Newbie
Threads
Was this noise ever resolved? I just got a used 24hp that's making a similar noise. I didn't notice it with a cold start but once I got it home and it warmed up, it's pretty obvious.
Thanks

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
I vote on a gasket leak, maybe a head gasket leak. Old l-heads could "chirp" with a leaking head gasket, could be the same here. While running spray something non-flammable around and look for a leak.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Also pull the plugs and crank the engine to see if it is rubbing or hitting something.

Rbb531

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for the input Fish. I pulled the cover and it sounded like it was coming from the head so I pulled the spark plugs and turned it by hand. Noise still there, kind of a double squeak. Definitely not the head gasket, something in the crank or cylinder itself, maybe the counterweight. Not worth tearing the crankcase apart to figure out. I think I'm going for a crate motor replacement. Far less effort and I know it will be fixed.

Rbb531

Forum Newbie
Threads
Turns out the noise I heard and probably the one in this video is actually the PTO pully. It's an easy diagnoses, just pull both pullys off and run the engine.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I couldn't hear the actual issue on the video. Still thanks for posting up one.

Glad she is fixed.

slomo

Last edited: