noisy flywheel?

revz

Forum Newbie
Threads
i just rebuilt both sides on a twin ohv 20hp - if i can stop this noise id like to. or is it normal? it’s always done it since i got the mower (free). it almost sounds like a squeak coming from under the flywheel. or is this normal on these engines?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Exhaust gasket or muffler leaking? I would apply anti-seize to the muffler bolts and torque to spec. Make sure the gasket is good. Remember that is an aluminum block. Don't need to gorilla slam the muffler bolts.

Something under the plastic engine blower housing rubbing on the flywheel? Remove the engine cover temporarily and run the engine for a FEW seconds only. These are air cooled engines that get hot fast. Don't run without the cover.

While you are there, clean all the dirt, oil, grass and bugs off the engine clock cooling fins. This is in the manual and should be done on ALL small engines.

Sometimes those screens with all those small round holes on top of the flywheel can rub where they shouldn't be, get bent. Look for scratches on the plastic outer cover where the round screen rides.

slomo

Last edited:

revz

Forum Newbie
Threads
Exhaust gasket or muffler leaking? I would apply anti-seize to the muffler bolts and torque to spec. Make sure the gasket is good. Remember that is an aluminum block. Don't need to gorilla slam the muffler bolts.

Something under the plastic engine blower housing rubbing on the flywheel? Remove the engine cover temporarily and run the engine for a FEW seconds only. These are air cooled engines that get hot fast. Don't run without the cover.

While you are there, clean all the dirt, oil, grass and bugs off the engine clock cooling fins. This is in the manual and should be done on ALL small engines.

Sometimes those screens with all those small round holes on top of the flywheel can rub where they shouldn't be, get bent. Look for scratches on the plastic outer cover where the round screen rides.

slomo

Yeah its got to be something scraping i guess - i replaced all the seals on the top end and torqued. cleaned everything up real good and sprayed it down with engine degreaser. forgot the antiseize though ?‍♂️

i guess ill have to take the shroud off again and take a better look - its def. coming from the air screen (or under)

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Would be nice to rotate the engine without it running. That way you could pinpoint where it might be rubbing, if it is rubbing on something. Take that top screen with the round holes off. Should be able to run it without that only. Should have three small screws holding it on. See if the sound goes away.

Take a short hose say a 3 foot garden hose. Hold one end to your ear. Other end search around the muffler and flywheel cover. Get all CSI on it. This will help you pin the odd noise down.

slomo

revz

Forum Newbie
Threads
i took the screen off today and ran it, it’s definitely internal to the motor. sounds like a wet rubber shoe on a marble floor. maybe a seal squeaking? as the motor turns down the sound stays the same just slows with the revolution. not 100% but seems like it’s louder as the motor warms? maybe not this is just me thinking out loud

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Your ignition coil isn't rubbing the flywheel is it?
I would also check to be sure nothing is rubbing the charging coil underneath the flywheel.

revz

Forum Newbie
Threads
Your ignition coil isn't rubbing the flywheel is it?
I would also check to be sure nothing is rubbing the charging coil underneath the flywheel.
i don’t think so but i will check. i adjusted the valves - both to .004 both sides - i will check this again also

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sounds to me like the muffler gasket is leaking or muffler has a hole that doesn't belong. Listen to the video again. Kind of sounds like a dirt bike. It's got a chuffing sound. That is a new word you guys can use LOL. Engine seems nice and smooth. Very well could be a loose coil like Scrub said.

Take a short garden hose and listen around the muffler.

slomo

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Sounds to me like the muffler gasket is leaking or muffler has a hole that doesn't belong. Listen to the video again. Kind of sounds like a dirt bike. It's got a chuffing sound. That is a new word you guys can use LOL. Engine seems nice and smooth. Very well could be a loose coil like Scrub said.

Take a short garden hose and listen around the muffler.

slomo
"Hey man I got a problem with my mower" "alright, what's it doing? "
"Well, it's kind of making a Chuffing sound....."
??

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
To me it sure sounds like metal on metal. I would be pulling the shroud to start my investigation. You can easily run that engine for three to five minutes at half throttle without damage.