No start on my Craftsman riding lawnmower

Rockyhammock

Threads
Had been doing pretty well. Cranking it now..........insert my noises here........crank, crank, crank, uggghh, nothing, repeat. It always cranks then whimpers with the ugghh, then nothing until I try again. I did get it started one time and it seemed like it could be flooded, but got some black smoke instead of white. Battery seems good, just as good as my other mower, just refuses to start. Tried to jump it will not avail. Battery was in the 11.67 to 11.76 range for both mowers. Battery in the craftsman is from 5/20.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
black smoke is running rich...... it could be your float needle in the carb is not sealing and allowing fuel to flow freely into the combustion chamber and fuel/liquid is harder to compress than air...
11.76 is definitely low for the battery, should be up around 12.2 or higher,. i like to see 12.6 to 12.8.....
post your engine model identification as you may have another problem that is common with the symptoms you describe. https://www.lawnmowerforum.com/threads/hey-new-members.64578/

Rockyhammock

Threads
Well being I bought this used at this point I am not finding numbers but will look again tomorrow. I will also try to get it back when I can charge up the battery some or pull it and bring it back to the house to charge.

Last edited:

Rockyhammock

Threads
Well no numbers that I can find. There is a white strip of paper on the engine's left side (if facing it from front) but there is nothing on it. It looks mainly like the photo I enclosed. I did get it back to the barn and have a charger on it now. Does look like it needs a good charge but with all the cranking I put to it, kinda understand that. Still wondering if it is getting gas, but see gas in the filter.

Attachments

• Mower.JPG
    Mower.JPG
    11.4 KB · Views: 1

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Look on the valve cover. Make sure you check the underside of the cover, as I have found that people install them upside down.

Rockyhammock

Threads
Well got it charged up and it did turn over although it was belching white smoke for 20 seconds or so until it cleared itself away. Ran good. Will see how it does in the morning. Guess I need to keep a better eye on doing a charge up now and then. Hazards of three mowers. Not all get used evenly.

Rockyhammock

Threads
Mower seems to be fine now. Will keep an eye on the battery. Thanks for the help.