Export thread

No Start - New Ignition Switch

BobDonut

BobDonut

I recently got a Toro Wheel Horse riding mower. Model 3212O502

The ignition switch wasn’t automatically snapping back to “run”, so I figured I would replace it with a new one. Here is the new ignition switch.

Now I blow the 25A fuse every time I try to start the engine. I tested the posts on the ignition switch, and all seem to work as they should, except I don’t get a connection when I test the ground post to the body of the ignition switch.

Any ideas what should I check next? Or does no ground to the switch body mean there is something wrong with the ignition switch?

thank you!

Fish

Fish

Look at the side of the switch with the prongs, there should be a letter on or around each prong.
Compare it with your old one. Improper switch can damage your ignition coil, so be careful.

BobDonut

BobDonut

Thank you.

These are the two ignition switches. The older one doesn’t have letters on it but I can see that it looks like the posts are in a different order, just based on the one with the gold connector being in a different spot.

Any educated eyes out there know what I should do to confirm if they are in the same order? And if not, how can I make it work or find the right ordered switch for my tractor?

Thanks so much for the help!

Attachments

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

2 switches were used on this model mower.... this one, which is the same part number as the one you bought, https://www.partstree.com/parts/toro-111216/ which says

Switch-Ignition (210-5 & 210-H)

and this one: https://www.partstree.com/parts/toro-116338/
Switch-Ignition (212-5 & 212-H)

BobDonut

BobDonut

Sorry if this is a stupid question - how can I tell which switch is mine? Or should I just buy the other one and see if it works?

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

I think one of the real experts will have to answer that question...
i would imagine the numbers in parenthesis has something to do with identifying them.

Fish

Fish

It would be dependant on which engine you have on that tractor. Also, what is the model number on the hood?
Is it 212-5?

Fish

Fish

Also, find and post the model numbers off of the engine.

Fish

Fish

Or a quick pic or two.

Fish

Fish

On the gray switch, look closely at the terminal blades for letters.

R

Rivets

First, looking at the pics you posted, those two switches are not the same. One will not replace the other, do not try. Second, fir some reason I can’t find anything in Toro with the model number you posted. Please double check the model number located under the seat. The only time I’ve seen two switches used on the same model tractor is when there was an engine change. That being said please include the serial number.

BobDonut

BobDonut

Excellent! Yup good call on the hood numbers...

So I bought the wrong switch. Thank you for pointing that out. I’ll get the right one for my tractor and give it another go!

Attachments

BobDonut

BobDonut

I think I got the model number right. It seems the website I used matched the wrong switch to my model. Here is the pic from under the seat.

Thanks!

First, looking at the pics you posted, those two switches are not the same. One will not replace the other, do not try. Second, fir some reason I can’t find anything in Toro with the model number you posted. Please double check the model number located under the seat. The only time I’ve seen two switches used on the same model tractor is when there was an engine change. That being said please include the serial number.

Attachments

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

You need this one, it's for the 212-5

R

Rivets

Toro part number 103990. The back of the switch should be labeled like this.
1594473046418.jpeg