No start issue

CLStout

Threads
This is with an Ariens 42" hydro tractor, model 936042. I only get a click from the fuel solenoid on the carburetor. Using a voltmeter, I checked the voltage at the energizing wire at the starter solenoid, and I get 9 volts. I get 12.47 volts at the battery and the battery post on the starter solenoid. If I test the voltage on the starter post on the solenoid, I only get 1.6 volts. But here's the real puzzler. I get a very weak spark when I try to jump the 2 posts on the starter solenoid. Nothing at all from the starter itself.
Even if the starter solenoid is faulty, shouldn't there be something from the starter when the 2 posts are jumped?
One thing that it did when I last used it was, when I shut it off, it sputtered instead of shutting down, like it didn't want to shut off.
Also, I was doing the tests with the voltmeter with the clutch/brake pedal depressed and the parking brake on.
Thanks much!

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Lets do some testing.

With a voltmeter connected to the battery what is the voltage?
Now while still connected to the battery attempt to start the mower, what is the voltage at the battery?
Now move the positive lead from the battery to the energizing wire on the starter solenoid and while attempting to start what is the voltage?
Now move the positive lead to the wire on the starter and while attempting to start what is the voltage?
And finally move the positive test lead to the metal housing of the starter and while attempting to start what is the voltage?

CLStout

Threads
Voltmeter connected to battery: 12.79 v
Voltmeter connected to battery attempt to start: 7.8 v
Energizing wire: 7.08 v
Starter wire: 0 v
Metal housing: 0 v

I do hear the fuel solenoid on the carburetor working.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The 12.79 dropping to 7.8 when attempting to start would indicate a faulty battery. Take it to a local auto parts place for further load testing.

CLStout

Threads
Is it a bad cell? I just tried to charge it, but the charger says it's at a full charge.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is it a bad cell? I just tried to charge it, but the charger says it's at a full charge.
All batteries and all electrical circuits, must be, LOAD TESTED. Under cranking, assuming all else is good, if your battery drops below 10.5 volts DC, you have a bad battery. Take it to an auto parts store. They will check for free as ILENGINE said.

Your charger doesn't test anything under load. All it does is charge.

CLStout

Threads
I understand that. I have a load tester, but I haven't used it yet. I would assume that the load tester at the local auto parts store is probably a little more complicated than mine.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I understand that. I have a load tester, but I haven't used it yet. I would assume that the load tester at the local auto parts store is probably a little more complicated than mine.
It probably is but if you have one of the toaster style load testers give it a go. Most are a 100 amp load, but the one that I purchased probably 20+ years ago is a 50 amp toaster style load tester. Nothing like watching a fully charged battery at 12.7 volts drop to 0 under load.

CLStout

Threads
You're correct, mine is a toaster style one.
Is there a good dependable make of battery? This one is only a few years old.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You're correct, mine is a toaster style one.
Is there a good dependable make of battery? This one is only a few years old.
Not really. With a little research you will find no matter the name on the battery most are made by one of 3 companies.