Export thread

No Spark on Kohler V-Twin CV624S after installing (2) NEW Ignition Coil Modules

B

Blaiser

I have a Craftsman LT2000 Lawn tractor that has a Kohler V-Twin CV624S Engine installed on it. I recently just replaced the (2) Ignition Coils Module with BRAND NEW OEM Kohler Part #24 584 36-S. Now I can not get any spark out of one of the modules. I've already replaced the wiring harness with NEW OEM Harness also. Any help would be appreciated on what I can check next??

EngineMan

EngineMan

I have a Craftsman LT2000 Lawn tractor that has a Kohler V-Twin CV624S Engine installed on it. I recently just replaced the (2) Ignition Coils Module with BRAND NEW OEM Kohler Part #24 584 36-S. Now I can not get any spark out of one of the modules. I've already replaced the wiring harness with NEW OEM Harness also. Any help would be appreciated on what I can check next??

Have you turn the one that is working on the cylinder that isn't...? if it works then replace the module, I have known new one's not to work.

B

Blaiser

Tried to switch the modules but the SAME 1 side still has NO SPARK. UNPLUGGED the HARNESS from the Tractor and still NO SPARK. I only replaced them because they were rusted and lost spark on the one. I also replaced the Motor Wiring Harness with an OEM Kohler Harness for this engine. What could be grounded or not making up? Harness unplugged on the tractor it should fire???

EngineMan

EngineMan

"Harness unplugged on the tractor it should fire??? " Then its to do with the kill wire for that module, will it spark if you take the kill wire off the module..? check the wire on the bad coil with a meter to see if you have Continuity going to ground, which will kill the coil..!

Fish

Fish

Your model number is not correct on your engine. We also need the spec number to see which ignition system that you have.

B

Blaiser

Your model number is not correct on your engine. We also need the spec number to see which ignition system that you have.

The NEW Motor is a Kohler Pro V-TWIN 20HP -
Family: 1KHXS.6242GC
Display: (cc) 624

CV624 S
SPEC: 65578
SERIAL NUMBER: 3106806451

Fish

Fish

If you installed this engine on a tractor that had a different engine, and your old tractor sent 12volts to the coils, it likely
destroyed them, and hooking up the new coils to that same system also would damage the new ones. When swapping motors, you have to know what every wire does, etc..

If you were to bolt on two new coils, and leave the kill wires unplugged, you would have spark when you crank your engine.

but before doing that, just check your kill wires for voltage.

EngineMan

EngineMan

The NEW Motor is a Kohler Pro V-TWIN 20HP -
Family: 1KHXS.6242GC
Display: (cc) 624

CV624 S
SPEC: 65578
SERIAL NUMBER: 3106806451

Does the engine have the ECU System..? if so check battery + at 87 (key on) on the relay to both coils and pins 22 and 23 on connector J1 for ground. I take it you do have a wiring diagram for that engine.

Fish

Fish

No, that is why I requested the model numbers, it does not have the Spark Advance Module, so the only wire to the coils are the kill wires.

EngineMan

EngineMan

So maybe we are getting somewhere.....is this the type of coil that you fitted..?

Attachments

• coil.bmp
    351.5 KB · Views: 34

B

Blaiser

So maybe we are getting somewhere.....is this the type of coil that you fitted..?

Yep that looks the two I purchased

B

Blaiser

Yep that looks the two I purchased

Here's a picture of what I bought (Qty. 2)
Kohler Coils.jpgKohler Coils.jpg

EngineMan

EngineMan

Can you post up the colour(s) "color" of the wires going to the coils please so that I know that am looking at the right wiring diagram.

Fish

Fish

You have purchased the wrong coils, according to your spec number, those look like the coils for the Smart Spark module.

Fish

Fish

You need coil # 24 584 45s

EngineMan

EngineMan

Wrong or not...."I only replaced them because they were rusted and lost spark on the one." he was having the same problem with the old one's, so it can't be with the coil itself, I would him to take off the (kill wire) its the small wire of the two, off the coil to see if it then has a spark, seems to be the only way to know...! wrong coils or not he still has spark, but only on one of them..!

Fish

Fish

Wrong or not...."I only replaced them because they were rusted and lost spark on the one." he was having the same problem with the old one's, so it can't be with the coil itself, I would him to take off the (kill wire) its the small wire of the two, off the coil to see if it then has a spark, seems to be the only way to know...! wrong coils or not he still has spark, but only on one of them..!

HUHH?

His old coil only had 1 wire going to it, the kill wire!

The coils he has shown has the second, different sized terminal for the wire from the Smartspark Advance module, which according to his model he does not have. For these coils to work, he would have to add the module, change the flywheel too,
and rewire the tractor correctly.

So with any luck at all, the shop that sold him those coils were at fault for selling him the incorrect ones and will take them
back, as here in America, almost no suppliers will take back electric/electronic parts for any reason.

EngineMan

EngineMan

HUHH?

His old coil only had 1 wire going to it, the kill wire!

The coils he has shown has the second, different sized terminal for the wire from the Smartspark Advance module, which according to his model he does not have. For these coils to work, he would have to add the module, change the flywheel too,
and rewire the tractor correctly.

So with any luck at all, the shop that sold him those coils were at fault for selling him the incorrect ones and will take them
back, as here in America, almost no suppliers will take back electric/electronic parts for any reason.

Were did you see or read that there was only one wire on the old system....?

Fish

Fish

Hopefully this link will work from this online parts lookup.

I like to look up the engine in question, that is why I always ask for the spec number.

OEM Parts

EngineMan

EngineMan

Blaiser can you take a photo of old coils please...?

B

Blaiser

Were did you see or read that there was only one wire on the old system....?

The old coils were identical to the new ones as far as the plug connectors are concerned. I even tried an old(good) one with a new one only one coil had spark regardless of what I tried.

EngineMan

EngineMan

The old coils were identical to the new ones as far as the plug connectors are concerned. I even tried an old(good) one with a new one only one coil had spark regardless of what I tried.

Have you taken off the small wire yet..?

EngineMan

EngineMan

Have a look at this, is the wiring anything like it..?

Attachments

• wiring.bmp
    2.6 MB · Views: 13

Fish

Fish

Here is the schematic of either.

Attachments

Fish

Fish

Where is the Smart Spark Module here? Same lookup as what I put up. Also the sears site shows that he has the wrong coils as well!

EngineMan

EngineMan

Where is the Smart Spark Module here? Same lookup as what I put up. Also the sears site shows that he has the wrong coils as well!

So are we saying that this engine is fitted with Capacitive Discharge with Electronic Spark
Advance (SMART-SPARK)..?

Fish

Fish

Both of our parts lookups do not show a Smart Spark/S.A.M. module, what makes you think that his engine does???

Is it possible that he is putting up an incorrect model/spec number?????? Well yes.........

Is it possible that both of the Kohler parts lookups we put up are incorrect??????? WWWWEELLLLLLL yes.

This poster might have a hideous "Frankenmower" that he has not told us the full story about.... YES!!!

To the O.P., why did you replace the harness as you said you did in the first post.

Can you tell us the full story, and give us a clue as why your model/spec numbers are notjivving with your thread?

Can you put up pics of what you have, and what you had?

Fish

Fish

So are we saying that this engine is fitted with Capacitive Discharge with Electronic Spark
Advance (SMART-SPARK)..?

According to his spec number, he has no "SmartSpark" at all.

According to his last few posts, who can tell?

But I can tell anyone here that you cannot interchange just part of these parts, it has to be one system or the other.

To the O.P., what is the model number of your tractor, off of the tag under/behind the seat????????

Fish

Fish

OK Engine Man my apologies.

I knew something was rotten in Denmark {Is that politically correct???}

Here is the problem

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/small...7-hp-single-cylinder-kohler-20-hp-v-twin.html

B

Blaiser

According to his spec number, he has no "SmartSpark" at all.

According to his last few posts, who can tell?

But I can tell anyone here that you cannot interchange just part of these parts, it has to be one system or the other.

To the O.P., what is the model number of your tractor, off of the tag under/behind the seat????????

The Original Tractor came with a 17 HP Kohler Single Cylinder Engine - Sears LT2000 Model #917.273140 - the original engine blew so it was replaced with a 20 HP Kohler V-Twin Engine by original owner. The NEW Engine was put on the tractor it is a KOHLER V-TWIN 20 HP - Model # CV624S - Spec # 65578.

Fish

Fish

It is a shame that we have wasted this much time, and gotten so worked up, my apologies.......

Fish

Fish

The Original Tractor came with a 17 HP Kohler Single Cylinder Engine - Sears LT2000 Model #917.273140 - the original engine blew so it was replaced with a 20 HP Kohler V-Twin Engine by original owner. The NEW Engine was put on the tractor it is a KOHLER V-TWIN 20 HP - Model # CV624S - Spec # 65578.

So you just bought 2 of the 17h.p. coils? and thought that is all you needed to do?? You trying to morph the old harness onto
your new engine is pretty much certain to fail, unless you know what the wires go to and what they do, and burning up good ignitions is one of them.

I am going to sign off of this one, as I am done.