No Spark, checked everything I can think of

Threads
Hey Guys,

I have a Briggs 126T02-0675-B2 that isn't getting spark. I ohmmed out the coil, determined it to be bad, replaced it, as well as the spark plug. Still no spark. I ohmmed out new coil, seems good, I ohmmed the kill wire and seems to function as it should with the lever. I checked the magnets on flywheel, seem to be grabbing. I guess only concern is, it appears to have mags 180 degrees off, but there is NO magnetism there...not sure if only one set of mags or 2 is normal. I tried the airgap everywhere from .06-.12...I started at 12 as I googled it quick figuring it's pretty universal, later found a chart that says this motor to be .06-.10 so I fiddled with it all the way up, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. I can't for the life of me see anything else in the line to prevent spark, everything seems to be normal, but still nothing. What am I missing??

Thank You in Advance,

Eric

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I’m not being a smartA, but could you have installed the coil upside down? It has been done more than once.

Threads
Well, it says cyl side and this side out. I tried spinning flywheel both directions too, so even if it was upside down, wouldn't reverse rotation cause spark?

I think I may have found the possible issue...the kill terminal on coil itself, even when completely removed from mower, shows short to ground...but the kill wire when isolated is grounded until the handle is held down...so this tells me that to start up, according to the mower, the coil kill must be ungrounded...if this coil kill is grounded ALL the time, the spark is going right to ground, not chaRging the secondarys...do I have a bad or incorrect coil?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You’ve found the problem.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You may have a bare spot on the kill wire, just it disconnected and try starting. Just be prepared to either plug wire, choke the engine to death, or clamp the fuel line to shut the fuel to the engine.

Threads
You may have a bare spot on the kill wire, just it disconnected and try starting. Just be prepared to either plug wire, choke the engine to death, or clamp the fuel line to shut the fuel to the engine.
No spark even when unplugging kill wire

Threads
I just noticed in the parts diagram it says to order a new air vane when replacing the coil...doesn't make much sense to me, can someone shed some light on that?

waylonJ

Threads
I am curious how you are determining there is no spark? I had a crappy spark detector that I used for 2 years. I had a machine that I could not get spark on. After messing with it for days I realized the spark detector was broke :)

Threads
I am curious how you are determining there is no spark? I had a crappy spark detector that I used for 2 years. I had a machine that I could not get spark on. After messing with it for days I realized the spark detector was broke :)

grounding plug to head bolt

Threads
I just noticed in the parts diagram it says to order a new air vane when replacing the coil...doesn't make much sense to me, can someone shed some light on that?

I mean, I get that it can cause a no start issue by wrong position of choke, but, I don't see how it'd cause a no spark issue and why you have to replace both the coil and the air vane