NO LUCK!!!

van

Forum Newbie
Threads
So here is my dilemma... in the past two years I have gone through two mowers... one was a refurbished troy-bilt which was almost brand new... The second was a refurbished crapsman. I have an lawn that takes about one hour to mow with a push mower. I need a mower that is reliable because my lawn is not very flat and will take some abuse from the terrain. I need some information on which motor is most reliable, which machine is easiest to maintain, and any other advice for picking out a new mower... I'd say price range is around 500.00.

SirJohn

Threads
Your budget is more than I could spend, but I recently went through major research on the subject. For $500, the Toro and Honda mowers are easily the most recommended. Honda engines are pretty highly thought of, but still do suffer from carb problems, but that seems to be a running theme for most mower engines and it is fixable. The hondas under $500 are the HRR216VXA and HRR216VKA. Toro has several models under $500, some with the same honda engine and some using the B&S 700. The one thing about the B&S is that they are easy to work on and get parts. However, the Honda has several qualities that make it a better engine by most accounts.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I guess my question would be why would you go through two refurbished mowers in two years with only a one hour mow job and I would take it that would be once a week being only 4hrs a month. For that much mowing in a month I really can't see what mower you bought why it should not last for years with good maintenance. I would guess if your lawn was so bad that it was doing damage to your mower I don't know what you should get, but they must make something for that and I would bet it would be more then 500 dollars.

LandN

Threads
So here is my dilemma... in the past two years I have gone through two mowers... one was a refurbished troy-bilt which was almost brand new... The second was a refurbished crapsman. I have an lawn that takes about one hour to mow with a push mower. I need a mower that is reliable because my lawn is not very flat and will take some abuse from the terrain. I need some information on which motor is most reliable, which machine is easiest to maintain, and any other advice for picking out a new mower... I'd say price range is around 500.00.

I would question the condition of the lawn/yard and how smooth it is ( full of ruts, tree stumps etc.).... If the yard/lawn is smooth and not severely hilly then i would question the refurbished mowers and WHO refurbished them....if you need a mower that will handle a ROUGH TERRAIN then i would say you're looking at more than 500.00 . you probably need a commercial duty mower

fastback

Threads
You don't say what problem you are having with these mowers. Is is motor, chassie or wheels that are giving you the problem? Even cheap mowers will last for years with regular maintainance. The normal problem with most inexpensive mowers is the wheels and axles wear. If this is your problem than you may want to look for something with a heavy duty chassie. Like Land said a commercial mower.