No Compression 3hp 10T802

johnfin

Forum Newbie
Threads
I rebuilt an engine and the compression is zero. I aligned the cam and crank marks. Lapped the valves and they seem to be closed at top dead center. Put some compressed air thru the spark plug hole and it appears to be leaking out of the exhaust valve a little. You would think I could get a little compression. What am I missing?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First make sure you are on TDC compression when doing the leakdown air test. If you are still getting valve leakage, then time to investigate why. Not lapped properly, improper valve clearances, It doesn't take much air leakage to really drop the compression, especially if an engine has compression release, not saying your does, but it is possible.

johnfin

Forum Newbie
Threads
The valves are new and I dont think there is any adjustment on a 3hp engine.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You adjust the valve clearances by filing off or grinding off the end of the valve stem to set the clearances. If your didn't do that that explains the compression issues. You are floating the valves, which could include the intake also.

johnfin

Forum Newbie
Threads
Now they tell me. Grinding the shank to get .005 clearance is a joke. The human hair thickness is about the same. Not to mention if its hardened you just destroyed that. So I grinded it down the best I could and its seated so we will see what the compression will be now.

johnfin

Forum Newbie
Threads
Measured the conpression.. its 60 now. Took it on a working mower...same so i guess its ok

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I like to see more than that, but without knowing the compression ratio, that may be the normal compression for that engine. a 7.5:1 engine will produce less compression than a 10:1 compression engine.

johnfin

Forum Newbie
Threads
My new mower that iam working on is made for e85 fuel. New rings...old test mower from the 70's i compared it to had same compression. Interesting.