Newbie questions.

Walker3555

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi

I'm new to riding mowers and lawn tractors and I hope someone can enlighten me on a couple of points. I've just brought a secondhand yardmachine 662, 13.5hp, 38" cut. It works well and starts everytime, but I have 2 issues.

Firstly, the flywheel has lost all its magnets and the charging circuit is smashed. This means I have to periodically charge up the battery, but when I do the mower starts everytime so I can put up with this at present. Is the charging circuit attached to the motor? If I replaced the motor in the future will this rectify the problem? The motor is a tecumseh.

Secondly, the mower cuts well until I hit thicker or tall grass, (6" - 9"). The deck belt, which is brand new, starts to slip and smoke. Is this normal?

Cheers Mark

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hi

I'm new to riding mowers and lawn tractors and I hope someone can enlighten me on a couple of points. I've just brought a secondhand yardmachine 662, 13.5hp, 38" cut. It works well and starts everytime, but I have 2 issues.

Firstly, the flywheel has lost all its magnets and the charging circuit is smashed. This means I have to periodically charge up the battery, but when I do the mower starts everytime so I can put up with this at present. Is the charging circuit attached to the motor? If I replaced the motor in the future will this rectify the problem? The motor is a tecumseh.

Secondly, the mower cuts well until I hit thicker or tall grass, (6" - 9"). The deck belt, which is brand new, starts to slip and smoke. Is this normal?

Cheers Mark

Is the belt a MTD belt or did you buy a cheap one?
On this mower the engine RPMs should drop before the belt slips. So could be wrong belt. Or rust on the pulleys check the pulleys and springs.

The charging is part of the engine if you don't mind jump starting it I would leave it be. If you swap out the engine yes it will charge the battery.

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

Walker3555

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks

The local mower shop put the new belt on, so I hope they used genuine. But that makes sense so ill have a look, thanks.

Cheers Mark

Bob E

Threads
The alternator sits under the flywheel and is held in place on the engine by a couple of bolts. The wires that run from your engine to you battery and lights are attached to the alternator. If your diagnostics are accurate and your new engine is in good repair then yup a new engine should fix it, but it sounds like you will need to replace your battery at the same time too.

Check the spindle bolts on the deck. Make sure they are in place, tight, and not broken. Belts stretch a little after they break in you might just need to re adjust the engagement linkage. Here are the directions out of the operator's manual for my 13AH660F372.
You can get the operators manual for your tractor at http://www.mtdproducts.com/equipment/OperatorManualView?storeId=10500&catalogId=20500&langId=-1

MTD660-679deckengagementadjustment_zps8d3e60fe.jpg

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I have seen cases where the belt wouldn't fully engage when the deck height is in the top 2 notches. I don't know what height you are trying to cut at, but though I would throw that out there.

wildbill

Threads
I need some HELP PLEASE; I am working on a SNAPPER 21745H38CBV. (The first 3 numbers were a bit blurred so I had to do some guess work on them) Any way, as with most all mowers, the (left pedal) clutch/brake pedal MUST be pushed down to start the engine....... and the engine starts fine....... however, as soon as I release the pedal the engine shuts down as if I turned off the ignition.

I did this several times, and the motor quits as soon as I let the pedal come off the safety switch that is engaged by the pedal.

Does this mean the switch is bad???????

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Does it have a seat switch? If so then I would look at it first

Sent from my iPhone using LMF