New To Zero Turn need information, please

dannyboy44

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well i just bought a new Gravely Proturn 52. I think i did well for $5,600.

I got a quick lesson from the delivery person and his advice conflicts with the manual.

He says full throttle to engage and disengage the PTO. The manual says 3/4 throttle to engage and does not mention setting to disengage.

On my tractor I only engage the PTO at the lowest throttle setting to prevent shock to the attached implement be it a spreader, tiller etc.

I would think on the Gravely i would want to engage with throttle at idle to prevent a stress on the belts, pulleys. Logically I think engage at idle and slowly increase engine RPM.

I'm not clear on this. Can anybody help and explain why I engage at high RPM? It just seems wrong to me . Why is the zero turn different from the tractor.?

Thanks

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well i just bought a new Gravely Proturn 52. I think i did well for $5,600.

I got a quick lesson from the delivery person and his advice conflicts with the manual.

He says full throttle to engage and disengage the PTO. The manual says 3/4 throttle to engage and does not mention setting to disengage.

On my tractor I only engage the PTO at the lowest throttle setting to prevent shock to the attached implement be it a spreader, tiller etc.

I would think on the Gravely i would want to engage with throttle at idle to prevent a stress on the belts, pulleys. Logically I think engage at idle and slowly increase engine RPM.

I'm not clear on this. Can anybody help and explain why I engage at high RPM? It just seems wrong to me . Why is the zero turn different from the tractor.?

Thanks

You and the Gravely manual are correct and the delivery guy didn't know what he was talking about:0)
Engage/dis-engage the PTO at 3/4 throttle.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
You and the Gravely manual are correct and the delivery guy didn't know what he was talking about:0)
Engage/dis-engage the PTO at 3/4 throttle.

P.S.
And yes, you did very well @ $5,600!!! My local dealer shows it on sale at $6,299 MSRP(regularly $6,999).