New to the forum.

rusted bolts

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have a few questions about a B/S engine, Mod#283h07, Type# 0197e1, Code# 040227zd. on a 42" mtd mower. Just got this mower, Looks like new! Engine in a box with valve cover off. Intake push rod missing. Repair shop tag saying intake valve may be bad. That's all the info I have, Owners decided to buy a new mower. Now for the questions. Do theses engines eat Cams, Intake exhaust valves, Push valves, Rocker Arms, Rocker Arm Bolts Do they have a Alumm intake push rod? Is it better to use a steel push rod? Is the compression release on the intake valve? Would think it would be on the exhaust valve but I'm not sure. THANKS for any infor. rusted:confused2:

BRubble

Threads
B&S, has a Website,, that has a lot of useful info., such as adjusting the valves,, etc.

They may also have their own forum as well, that may be helpful as well.

Good Luck

rusted bolts

Forum Newbie
Threads
B&S, has a Website,, that has a lot of useful info., such as adjusting the valves,, etc.

They may also have their own forum as well, that may be helpful as well.

Good Luck

THANKS, Pulled the pan this am, Also the head. Cam lobe on intake wore out, Oil slinger wore out, Intake valve leaking, Engine full of grimy break in oil. Looks like total rebuild. Engine was cleaner on the outside. Again Thanks.:thumbsup:

BRubble

Threads
Be sure to check out Ebay & Amazon for a New or Rebuilt Engine with warranty before rebuild. Might not be that much difference in cost. Never know.

They may have run the Engine without OIL. After the Fact,, then poured in Oil. I almost ran a Generator 11 hp without oil.

I put oil in,, and then stored the Generator for a year or so. Decided to crank the Engine up,, just to let it run for a while before needed.

Pulled, Pulled, and Pulled until my arm was sore. Cheap Junk I said. Cheap Cheap Cheap.

Then I decided to check the Oil. Didn't have a Drop in Pan. Had leaked out past the Drain Plug washer seal.

The engine has a low oil no start sensor. Put oil in,, and Motor Cranked up on 1st Pull. 1st small engine I've ever owned with a Low Oil No Start Sensor.

Another Testamonial for Checking the Engine Oil,, before Cranking on all Engine's.

Good Luck

rusted bolts

Forum Newbie
Threads
Be sure to check out Ebay & Amazon for a New or Rebuilt Engine with warranty before rebuild. Might not be that much difference in cost. Never know.

They may have run the Engine without OIL. After the Fact,, then poured in Oil. I almost ran a Generator 11 hp without oil.

I put oil in,, and then stored the Generator for a year or so. Decided to crank the Engine up,, just to let it run for a while before needed.

Pulled, Pulled, and Pulled until my arm was sore. Cheap Junk I said. Cheap Cheap Cheap.

Then I decided to check the Oil. Didn't have a Drop in Pan. Had leaked out past the Drain Plug washer seal.

The engine has a low oil no start sensor. Put oil in,, and Motor Cranked up on 1st Pull. 1st small engine I've ever owned with a Low Oil No Start Sensor.

Another Testamonial for Checking the Engine Oil,, before Cranking on all Engine's.:thumbsup:

Good Luck

Yeah, Very well could of been dry on oil at one time. Sure is a mess in there. Thanks for the heads up on the rebuild engines.