new to me columbia MTD

Marty013

Threads
hey folks.. new to me lawn tractor.. columbia 16HP 42in.. no drive.. belt is there.. looks oil soaked to me.. it IS a hydro drive rear end unit.. which seems to have some seals leaking ( both rear wheels have traces of oil leaking from the axle seals)

my plan.. check and adjust the hydro unit oil level.. see if itl transfer power with the rear wheels off the ground.. if it slips with the wheels on the ground new belt it is.. if the unit checks out then fix the leaks..

model number 13ae698g597
my question... how to you check and adjust the oil level in the hydro unit??

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You look a the transmission for a makers tag with model numbers.
Some times there will be another one under the seat near the mowers ID tagThen go to the tranny makers web page and download the service manual for your unit

Marty013

Threads
aha.. so thats the big secret lol ill look into that another time.. thanks for the info though :) i dont recall there being more info on the tag i got the model number-serial from.. but i could be mistaken.. ill double check that come weekend.. thanks :) im assuming this is usually something that can be seen without removing the unit from the machine?? ( crossing fingers here..)

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Won't be on the tag, it will be a stand alone tag with TufTorque or Hydrogear OR Tecumseh or Peerless on the top in bold then a bar code and the numeric equivalent under that
About 1/2" tall and 2" long.
If not under the seat then they will usually be on the axel section of the tranny, one each on the left & the right side

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Looking for your unit with the model number you provided, all I can find is that it is a Canadian MTD unit, which makes it extremely difficult you find any info on the unit. As Bert said you will have to find a part number on the tranny itself. If you are in Canada you might be able to get the tranny number by contacting a repair shop which services MTD, as they should be able to get the number using you model number. I can do a little more digging if you can supply me with a clear picture of the ID tag and all number off the engine.