New to me 718. Indentations in grass :-(

evblazer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Howdy,
Bought an old 718 with a newer B&S Industrial/Commercial motor on it and a grasscatcher on the 52" deck. It seems to be in pretty good shaped but needs a bit of cleanup and paint so it doesn't get bad. I ordered a few superficial things like a new spring to replace the broken one under the seat and the handle grips it was lacking. Right now it has some gator blades with the 4 notch and it drowns out the motor especially if I turn the grass catcher on.

I had wy wife who barely weighs 100lbs try it out and she took about 3 trips around our lawn with it. There are a few places under trees like the pines that I know are lost cause for mowing and the front deck casters dig in. Around the old pecan tree the deck almost dove under the dirt line suddenly when it hit some really loose soil. The issue I have is in what I thought was the thick bermuda areas. I found the tail wheel is actually leaving an indentation I'm seeing days later. I can feel the dip in the soil where the wheel went so it isn't just striping on the grass. It would be an expensive solution but would dual rear wheels or a dual beam rear casters help? I'm also wondering if maybe the stiff hose is holding down the deck so it won't float upwards as easily as it could?

I'm thinking of pulling the grasscatcher off and putting a mulch plate on to see if a little lightening on the back and less stiffness on the deck with no hose holding it down might help it not dig up the lawn so much. If nothing else it'll give me a chance to clean it up some and maybe start painting some items.

Couple of pics I took tonight. The rack is lifted because on of the front tires leaks badly and I was thinking about changing the blades.
C360_2012-02-07-18-55-40.Share.jpg

share.jpg

173abn

Threads
evblazer,it's just a guess but I'm thinking the weight of that grass catcher is whats making the indentions.I've got the dual tires on back w/o a grass catcher so I don't notice no problem.However I do'nt have the perfect lawn so maybe I do'nt pay that close attention.The front casters on the deck do dig in from time to time but it does'nt bother me w/my less than perfect lawn I just figure it'll grow back....russ

evblazer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Russ,
I'm pretty happy with it so far I just gotta get some of that yard into shape I suppose. I went out tonight to look around the back and found the rear wheel pivot housing assembly wasn't bolted on but bolted and welded. Not that big of deal but makes it a little more difficult to switch out the rear with another caster or to the beam with two wheels out wide if I found one in a junk yard. I could still get a dual rear fork and put it in there I think which might help some.
Interestingly I think I saw counter weights on there. They probably aren't enough to make too big a difference but I may try and pull them off temporarily at least and see if it helps. If it does a double wheel might do the trick.

evblazer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Haven't run it since but I did go to another dealer to ask if they had an all in one kit for the new tail wheels.
Found out I have an 88' 718 with not only a single rear wheel but a much thinner rear. The new rear tire is nearly twice as wide! So I ordered the wide stance single fork kit so I will now have the single wider wheels out wide on the floating beam.
I also asked about a jrco dethatcher price and it turned out he had a 61" on consignment cheap. Bolted right up to my deck with no adjustments. Also had an aerovator but without a hydrolic deck that is a no go for me. If anyone is in north tx who wants it I can see if it is still there when I pick up my wheels or give you their contact info.

evblazer

Forum Newbie
Threads
A single rear wheel that instead of the previous owner buying a couple nut they went and welded it on.
C360_2012-02-24-12-50-10.Share.jpg

So after some careful use of an angle grinder with a large welding blanket spread out I was able to get it off the back and put a few coats of primer on.
You can see here the large size difference in the tire width
C360_2012-02-24-12-58-07.Share.jpg

After connecting up the new rear wheels took the dethatcher for a spin and filled up the bagger a few times and no indentation issues any longer. :biggrin: