image-3485723680.jpg
    550.6 KB · Views: 13

robinb66

Threads
And as I stated before check the reeds!!p

TJM_70

Threads
I will check the reeds...

and the hi / low knob is intact...when I manually up the rpms it works as it should...if I hold the rpms steady and switch between hi and low the engine drops as it should.

I appreciate all the advice and will track down the help I can get.

I have the online manual...seems to have everything I need. After having the carb apart tonight, the illustrations make a little more sense.

Lawn-Boy Service Manual 1950-88 Complete

robinb66

Threads
I will check the reeds...

and the hi / low knob is intact...when I manually up the rpms it works as it should...if I hold the rpms steady and switch between hi and low the engine drops as it should.

I appreciate all the advice and will track down the help I can get.

I have the online manual...seems to have everything I need. After having the carb apart tonight, the illustrations make a little more sense.

Lawn-Boy Service Manual 1950-88 Complete

hey if i were too send you a blank disc could you copy that lawnboy manual you listed in this thread for me, i have only library and cell phone use for net and the library won't allow me to go to the sight to download it and my phone won't download it?? thanks for you time robin barnard

TJM_70

Threads
Robin - I am not a member of the site so I don't have download privileges - only viewing...so I can't help you out with a copy. From what I understand, Toro also makes the manual available on their web site.

TJM_70

Threads
Well...I've learned on many other projects to never overlook the simple things. And my problem was a simple thing.

I got the mower working today after discovering that the throttle spring was not hooked into the notch on the carb...thus, the throttle had no force lifting it upward.

I connected it wrong the first time - force was going toward the deck...but then got it right and now have a fine running mower (again).

It probably didn't hurt to take the carb apart and clean it and re-adjust the altitude screw. Plus I learned a bit about the modular carbs.

In the service manual, there is no real discussion of the spring tension or connection in the D-600 fuel system section. It must not have been written for guys like me starting out with no advance knowledge. I finally read the D-400 section and found a passing mention of the tension and connection of the throttle rod spring.

I appreciate your help & plan to continue to check in now and then to this great forum about the world's best lawn mowers.

Gene123

Threads
Disassembled and cleaned the carb tonight...no improvement.

It will still start but the idle seems like it's too slow to keep it running. If I start it and just touch up the throttle an eighth of an inch, it runs strong and steady.

I tried to check the rpms tonight but couldn't get my automotive meter to work on the 1 cyl. Any way to do this?

If it was my chain saw, I'd adjust the idle up a little and go back to work.

Any other thoughts? How can I get the idle speed higher and what would be the cause of slow / low running speed?

A lot of fellows seem to be interested in knowing more about how to check the rpm's. Replies about this can be found on Forum>Brand specific Forums>Lawn Boy forum > Tiitle / Thread Starter> "How are rpm's measured on a two cycle Lawn Boy?" started by Gene123 on 4/4/2012. Good luck. There are good guys on the forum helping.

TJM_70

Threads
Thanks for the RPM tip. I have found niche forums like this one to be filled with some of the most helpful and knowledgeable people around.