New Scag owner, in love, for now....

hveich

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have been mowing about 8-10 acres at home for 20 years or so with a small 54" lawn tractor, finally I'm old and worn out. 2011 TT. I have read the posts and figured out how to get to the oil drain valve (Gearwrench), and now will have to search how to get the frontend up and the process to change the blades. This is a good forum and a great source of how to (or not to) and I look forward to searching for info and parting with what I do Know. thanks to you all.....Bill in Indiana....

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Welcome to LawnMowerForum!

I moved your thread to the Scag Forum. :smile:

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi Bill in Indiana,
Welcome to the Scag Forum. What model and deck size do you have?
There is a device called a MoJack that is handy for jacking up the front of a ZTR. MoJack makes three models, 300, 500, and 750 LB models. Needless to say the price increases as the capacity increases. If you have a Tractor Supply Co. nearby, they may have the 300 LB model in stock.
Scag ZTRs have a 9 1/2" long 5/8" diameter blade bolt that is installed from the bottom, passing up thru the blade and associated spacers/washers, thru the spindle and held in place by the nut on the top. The front of a Scag needs to be raised up a fair amount to let the blade bolts come out of the spindles, particularly the outboard spindles. When I install blades I use a 200 FT LB torque wrench set to 75 FT LBS, hold the nut with a combination wrench which I let rest up against something firm, and torque the bolt from underneath. I use a 1/2" drive air impact wrench to remove the nuts and I let the blade bolts drop to the floor and then jack up the front on the machine.
For engine oil changes I use an oil withdrawal system which sucks the oil thru a long tube that is placed down into the dip stick tube to the bottom of the oil base of the engine and by using vacuum it will draw the oil out and into the container that is part of the oil withdrawal system. When changing engine oil filters you will need a pan to catch the oil and don't let engine oil drip onto the electric clutch. I place several shop towels around the clutch before I remove the oil filter.
I am about to order a 750 LB MoJack for use with a cemetery ZTR that has the engine mounted forward and directly above the mower deck. This machine is much heavier forward than newer ZTRs thus the 750 LB MoJack.

Last edited:

hveich

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mad Mackie, thanks for the help. I gave car ramps a shot, and was able to get the blades changed. But I can see how a MoJack would be much more convient and maybe safer too. My ride is a
STT61V-35BVAC. Bigger than I need, and more powerful than I need, but my smile is as wide as the deck, and I truly do like mowing my grass.