New Scag Cheetah (10 hours) - OIL EVERYWHERE

Boudreaux

Threads
Homeowner here:

I'm hoping someone here will admit to this stupid error as well. I would hate to think I was the only one that did this....LOL..

I changed the oil and filter after the the last cut (10.5 hours) then saved the unit till the next cut. Well today was the time for that next cut. So I open the doors to the building, remove the oil cap to check oil level (it's a habit), then replace the cap with intentions on checking the oil level again (habit) then the cell phone rings.

I answer the phone, talk a few minutes, then jumped on the mower and start cutting grass. About six long passes through the yard, I recall that I may have forgotten to tighten the oil cap. SO ... I stop the mower, jump off and sure'nuff, I had forgotten to tighten the cap. Fortunately the long stem held the cap in place, but "there was oil everywhere on the motor and the surrounding area". So, I wait a few minutes for the remaining oil to accumulate in the lower base. I want to see how much oil I lost. Well I lost about a quart-plus . I go to the building and all I have available is a quart of 5w30.

Autozone is about twenty minutes away, I want to finish, and besides I will need some degreaser for cleanup. I poured the quart in, finished cutting the grass (about one hour and twenty minutes). I then drove to Autozone for some Castrol 10w30 and degreaser. Having never experienced using degreaser, I'm standing there lost like a goose looking at te hshelf of degreasers, when a young fellow walks by. So I ask him, "Have you ever experienced using a degreaser"...???

He immediately says Simple Green and Purple Power ... but he prefers Purple Power. SO, armed with a bottle of each, I head home. Upon returning home, I changed the oil to some fresh Castrol 10W30, then tackle the clean up. I was simply amazed as to how well "PURPLE POWER" works. Spray it on (heavily), let it soak for a few minutes then rinse it off (no scrubbing). Amazing

YES.... that's what I did today. With all the Motorcycle, car, truck. mower, and tractor oil changes, that was the first issue.... But it happened to me.....LOL...

:smile: :smile: :smile:

Zepaholic

Threads
My son did this years ago on an old riding lawn mower. Unfortunately we were not so lucky as you. The engine seized up. He felt terrible.
I couldn't get mad at him at least he cut the grass & did check the oil, just forgot to set the dipstick all the way in.

As far as Purple power & Simple Green...I have used both & both are great De-Greasers.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Now you have a good feel for what goes on in the crankcase of an engine while it is running!!!

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
My son did this years ago on an old riding lawn mower. Unfortunately we were not so lucky as you. The engine seized up. He felt terrible.
I couldn't get mad at him at least he cut the grass & did check the oil, just forgot to set the dipstick all the way in.

As far as Purple power & Simple Green...I have used both & both are great De-Greasers.

WOW......that just gave me an OCD about checking my dipstick "twice" before I start mowing each time(once when I check the oil level and once before I start mowing)!!!!! Last thing I would EVER want to explain to my wife about what I did to the Commercial ZTR I talked her into letting me buy as a retirement investment would be why it needs a new engine and it's not covered by warranty!!!!!!:0)
P.S.
Boudreaux.....don't feel too bad as I am beginning to realize the old saying that "the first thing to go is your memory".........AND.......I can't remember what the second thing is(but it could be related to E.D. and the little blue pill:0)

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
First your memory, then your money, then your clothes!!!
A week ago I changed the oil in the Vanguard 18 on my Ingersoll GT and was interrupted by answering many questions from my 4 year grandson and forgot to put the oil fill cap back on. Fortunately the cap stayed on the machine, but oil all over the place!!! I got out the "409" cleaner spray stuff and actually made it worse before it was clean!! The fill cap on this horizontal engine is in the valve cover, but still blew out lots of oil!
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
A week ago I changed the oil in the Vanguard 18 on my Ingersoll GT and was interrupted by answering many questions from my 4 year grandson and forgot to put the oil fill cap back on. Fortunately the cap stayed on the machine, but oil all over the place!!! I got out the "409" cleaner spray stuff and actually made it worse before it was clean!! The fill cap on this horizontal engine is in the valve cover, but still blew out lots of oil!

OMG....there's an epedemic of forgetfullness going around!!! I sure hope you can't catch it over the forums:0)

Boudreaux

Threads

After the incident, I went to Autozone for a commercial style de-greaser, considering I had never use one before. I was steered to "PURPLE POWER". That stuff is "really good". I just sprayed it on (heavily), waited about ten minutes, and hosed it off. No brushing required. Having seen the amount of oil everywhere, I just knew that 409 was not going to do the job.

I went back to Autozone and picked up a gallon of the stuff just because it worked so well.....