New Ryobi dual blade lawn mower

MowerMike

Threads
Ryobi has joined the dual blade bandwagon that was started by EGO with their Select Cut line of lawn mowers. Ryobi calls theirs Cross Cut, and it's featured on their 21" self-propelled lawn mower with SMART TREK Adaptive Variable Speed. It has dual battery ports, which are switched manually with a key that is reversed to select a different compartment when the battery in one compartment is depleted. Instead of the telescoping handles that have to be fully extended and locked for the mower to operate, there is now a one piece easy fold handle that should eliminate a lot of the problems with bad electrical connections that were causing the mower to either shut down or not start. The price at Home Depot is $599.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
My oldest son purchased this mower a year ago, said he purchased extra battery due to yard size. He said mower maintenance is very minimal, battery life slows after mowing for months even though showing fully charged. After taking an hour & a half to mow lawn, he asked my younger son to be on lookout for 4x4 lawn tractor, hilly terrain side yards. My younger son located Simplicity Conquest 4x4 with 23 hp Vanguard with 117 hours on gauge & 50" deck. 2010 tractor was $1800 plus $800 in new OEM parts, younger son sold to older brother for $2600. Oldest son uses tractor for 20 minutes & uses Ryobi for steep hillside & trimming for about 25 minutes, says he's a happy camper. He is into woodworking as a hobby & has no interest in maintaining tractor so younger son & I maintain tractors in his shop.

MowerMike

Threads
My oldest son purchased this mower a year ago, said he purchased extra battery due to yard size. He said mower maintenance is very minimal, battery life slows after mowing for months even though showing fully charged. Oldest son uses Ryobi for steep hillside & trimming for about 25 minutes.

Are you sure that it's this specific dual blade model, since it was just recently introduced ?

slinger2

Threads
Ryobi has joined the dual blade bandwagon that was started by EGO with their Select Cut line of lawn mowers. Ryobi calls theirs Cross Cut, and it's featured on their 21" self-propelled lawn mower with SMART TREK Adaptive Variable Speed. It has dual battery ports, which are switched manually with a key that is reversed to select a different compartment when the battery in one compartment is depleted. Instead of the telescoping handles that have to be fully extended and locked for the mower to operate, there is now a one piece easy fold handle that should eliminate a lot of the problems with bad electrical connections that were causing the mower to either shut down or not start. The price at Home Depot is $599.

I bought one of these after trying a previous Ryobi model (less expensive one) that had a bad speed control switch for the self propel drive. Upon inspection this new Crosscut model Ryobi had 3 large screws stripped out in the plastic deck. These screws held the metal plates where the handle is mounted to. Needless to say, it was also returned before I got a chance to try out the cutting performance of the mower. I bought a Toro 60 volt Vortex mower instead.