New Ryobi 80 volt lithium-ion battery ZTR Riding Mowers

Heretik

Threads
  • / New Ryobi 80 volt lithium-ion battery ZTR Riding Mowers
Hello, I'm new to the forum with targeted interest in Ryobi 80V ZTR and specifically the 42" cut.
Purchased late May 2024.

Only disappointment and truly a choice I had to make was the 42 inch "Stamped Deck".
I wasn't of a mind to pay for the larger "manufactured deck", as 42" is in my comfort zone. I have a Hustler Raptor 42" with manufactured deck with "lap bar steering" and transitioning to iDrive joy-stick steering has been a chore...muscle memory has yet to develop fully. I've never wrecked a shopping cart nor my Raptor 42, but I'm dreading the day when this Ryobi with iDrive is going to do some damage. I creep (slower than January Maple Syrup) between the 12YO Toyota Camry and 54YO Chevy CST to the Ryobi's reserved barn parking.

I see the cost of Batteries is a scalding subject of discussion. We didn't go to war to rape Afghanistan of their $Trillions in Lithium Reserves, estimated static amount, but rather for their $Billions in annual Opium production. We wouldn't have an opium crisis here at home without it. Somebody tell me, why any sane individual would voluntarily serve multiple tours in a carp hole like Afghanistan.

Quite true the cost of a 80V Briefcase Battery is eye opening at $900 each, 06.12.24 MSRP
(+/- $1). Outrageous in fact, considering all the money spent to re-install Al-Qaeda into power.
But, I digress. And $350 for the 40V "supplemental" batteries (SB) that are included with a $4000 Electric ZTR Mower.

Stress Test them batteries my friends. BTW, Ryobi dropped the price on the 42" ZTR mower by $2000. Seems no one was willing to take the plunge for the Original $6000 MSRP tag. And for $4000 they are lined up, and sun-faded, ready to go at you local HomeDepot.
I demanded a FRESH unassembled unit when I ordered through HomeDepot. Thus assuring no parking lot sun-scorched unit. Assembly is installing the Seat Back, that's it. Acquaintances are holding off for that $500 discount for a sun-bleached unit.

Stress Testing batteries led me to conclude the 1st unit received was defective. BTW, it was manufacture 05/22. All power usage was being drained from the "SB".
Evidenced by LED readout showing charge level down to 60%; but, the 80V Briefcase Battery (BB) check indication a full tank (100%). Swapped it, the 1st unit, for a 2nd and put it to the test. Suspicion validated when LED readout of 60% was verified by BB check of 59-61% and likewise the SB idiot lights indicating 50+%. IMPORTANT to know that the Ryobi ZTR requires the installation of at least 1x 80V briefcase battery, whether barely seaworthy or not, the mower will operate on the power from at least a pair of 40V SBs.

I read that charging is a subject for discussion. The longevity of batteries is predicated on the number of "charging cycles". That raises the question, if Li-Ion batteries don't acquire a charging level memory then why is the number charging cycles a factor?
Nonetheless, I have taken to maximizing the number charging cycles by depleting charge levels to as low as comfortable. I've gone so low as to require a scurry hurry back to the barn when the Low Battery Alert arose. An upgrade would be an audible on this alert, not simply a visual on the LED.

Double-Cut blades replacements are not available at this time, 06.12.24. The blade adapters are available @ $4.20 each. The double-cut blades do an awesome job of mulching the grass, even tall grass is no problem. The problem is them thar blades are thin and won't stand up to hitting a common red house brick. Bent the carp out of the upper blade on one side. Pounded it back into reasonably same straightness but not good enough, I surmise. Removed the same blade from the other side and I'm back to mowing. But it won't mulch the grass as before. The Red Brick incident damaged the associated blade adapter. I'm waiting for Ryobi to reverse their cranial-anal positioning and restock the blades before also ordering adapters.

Well folks, those are my 1st month notables, and I hope to hear from you

Last edited:

Heretik

Threads
  • / New Ryobi 80 volt lithium-ion battery ZTR Riding Mowers
Ooh Ooh, just remembered another thing about batteries. I've a couple Ryobi tools in addition to the ZTR that also require 40V batteries. I've a 4AH, a 8AH, and now several 12AH 40V batteries. All interchangeable, from chain saw to string weed whacker and now to a ZTR mower they'll ALL work with any 40V battery pack. The chain saw is rather tiresome with a 5.6# battery installed, but doable.

Don't tell anybody, I'm using the string weed whacker, with 4AH battery, as a not recommended for use as a Brush Whacker. This can only be done on a straight shaft weapon. I can't see spending another $400 for their "recommended" bicycle handle-bar Brush Whacker, without battery; for that price it should have a 12AH battery. It does rather well with the right 8" saw blade and with selected targeting. I have gnawed through 1" saplings but I try to keep that to a minimum. My gas powered Brush Whacker will do a 3" tree in less than a minute and spent < $300 for it.

A last addition to my show and tell/itch and moan: 2x 80V 10AH Batteries + 4x 40V 12AH Batteries MSRP ~ $3200. Basic Ryobi 42" Cut 80V ZTR $4173 with 2X & 2X batteries Tax/Title. Don't tell me a Ryobi 40V Bicycle Steering Brush Whacker is priced right!