New Raptor SD clutch rattle

mjn9222

Forum Newbie
Hi everyone
I just picked up my new Raptor SD today and stated mowing my yard and everything was great but as I was coming close to finishing the yard my clutch started to rattle. It sounded like everything was about to fall off. Has anyone had the happen?
 
I glued a small piece of metal in between the anchor and the clutch itself about .060 thick. Just enough to get rid of the clutch movement at the anchor. I noticed this when I did the service bulletin for the extra washer under the bolt of the clutch.
Again poor QC on Hustler's part. It's a new mower and I've had to fix this along with the loose belt.:thumbdown:
 
Tta...You need a special title from Hustler,possibly Field QC Manager....really appreciate your explanations and ideas to assure spec. performance and long life! Happy Fathers Day to all!:thumbsup:
 
If you got time to post pics of what exactly you did with the piece of metal........again you have my vote for Field QC Manager!At least those of us who are mechanically challenged could be more informed when we discuss issues with dealer.:smile:
 
If you got time to post pics of what exactly you did with the piece of metal........again you have my vote for Field QC Manager!At least those of us who are mechanically challenged could be more informed when we discuss issues with dealer.:smile:

This is how I added a shim to the clutch anchor. See picture
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 400
From my experience the rattle (when blades are engaged) comes from too much play in the spring.I don't like the shaking but too cheap to buy new spring which apparently is much more robust with more tension.This is on my "to do" list.My mower continues to be a workhorse,I'm a Happy Hustler owner!:thumbsup:
 
My SD is doing good with the shim glued on the anchor and the heavier spring. When I turn the blades on, the deck is smooth with no shake. It did shake pretty bad with oem spring when the blades were first engaged. The main the thing is to not over do it on tension if you go with a heavier spring, that belt needs to flex some.
By the way, I used red high temp rtv to glue that piece of shim on.
 
Back
Top