New purchase, Hydraulic lift and bagger option

Tractorworks

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a new 721D. Wondering if any comments, good or bad on adding hydraulic lift. Same on 15 bagger system. I can see where bagger could maybe get in the way a little but it is too easy to switch back and forth. (If I add the hydraulic lift I believe it would allow me to load on gooseneck trailer) It's not my everyday mowing trailer but would add to versatility. Any comments?
Thanks
Doug

173abn

Threads
doug,can't answer your specific Q. but how is the hydro. better than the elec. lift.To be honest all the mowers I've looked at at my dealer are equipped w/the elec lift. russ

Tractorworks

Forum Newbie
Threads
The electric lift does not lift the deck off the ground for transport. I had a F725 john deere front mount, the hydraulic lift helped when loading on trailer or getting unstuck in soft spots. Helped some in trimming out over a ditch or pond also. Grasshopper has it somewhere on their site. They show a video going over a curb and getting on a trailer. It is standard on the 9 series and an option on the 7 series.
Thanks
Doug

thehemikid

Threads
...Another scenario where it might help.

...I have a ditch up front of the property with a slope ranging from 18-28* on one side. My 61" deck (721 D) will cut that side with one pass by crab walking the mower slightly. Left side of deck is downhill with the anti-scalping wheel & bracket moved over one hole ( & re-drilled others ) to help the deck from digging into the bottom of the ditch ( it could use another one at the rear too ).

...But, ... there's this state highway reflector post right in the way, & when I try to back up there's no way to do it without "Gouging" some nasty gashes in the grass on both sides of the ditch (so far).

...I think a "deck-lift just/might help me get around this problem. I even thought about buying another used mower just to get the Hyd lift off of it, ( then sale the rest ) cause I couldn't find the Hyd lift in a Kit, & some parts weren't available separately.

...Not sure of how much the center-of-gravity will change by lifting the deck on a "slope". Doesn't sound too good in that area. ( I saw some where & saved the pic, that the center-of-gravity was just a little above the deck).

...Just my opinion, ...wish I had one to find out.

Attachments

• Crash - bigger.jpg
    Crash - bigger.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 8

thehemikid

Threads
I remember looking at their site before, & thought I looked up the older hydraulic lift to see some of the parts not available. I looked this time & didn't see the older unit, ( maybe the way i searched ). I just tried their comments link to ask & that didn't work, so sent them an email. I'll see what they respond back with. Meanwhile I'll go back & search a different way. I've browsed around their site a lot before, but never contacted them. Thanks for the reminder.

Jinzo Ningen

Threads
Hey, Doug.

If you're going to spring for a new unit, you might as well bite the bullet and get it with all the bells and whistles now. It'll be easier going into the purchase (and probably cheaper in the long run) than having to go back after the fact to try and refit with stuff you find that you really need/want. Comfort accessories are not really a luxury as far as a working mower goes. They'll save you a lot of time and wear & tear on you and your tractor. That kind of comfort & convenience is up-front money well spent, IMHO.

I bought mine used, but I honestly wouldn't mind re-fitting my 721D with the GH 25cu.ft. hopper/collection unit. Don't know if a tractor as old as mine will work with a new unit, but I think I'll do some research and find out. Watching the company's videos I would much rather back up to the edge of my woods and hit a lever and dump an entire hopper full of grass & leaves than have to get off the machine and lift out a bunch of full bags repeatedly. Either way, it sure beats having to rake up all the grass you've just mowed (or leaves you just mulched)!

Good luck with your purchase, and be sure to post some pics of your new 'Hopper once you get it!

Tractorworks

Forum Newbie
Threads
:smile:I bought this mower at the end of the year. They had to order it in to get the hydraulic lift. Got it with the 15 bagger-great system, and the mulching kit. Have not used the mulching kit yet. Used the bagger for the first 26 hours or so doing spring cleanups. Took it off late last week and put the muching plate on-with light leaves it works great. Very little use in side discharge so far but that will change soon. 34 hours so far-vary happy/ Changed the oil and filter-pretty simple process. Greasing is very easy. Only problem so far has been the right rear going flat twice. Seems to be a combination of heavy bagger, softer ground (spring), a lot of back and forth (twisting the steer tires). Don't have handle on fuel consumption yet but believe it to be under a gallon per hour. Just mowed an acre property and the gauge did not move. Sorry no pictures yet.