New mower maintenance

t9sti

Forum Newbie
Threads
All, sorry if this is a repeat... But I'm a new sd owner and its my first time owning a mower. I was wondering how long should I wait before changing oil/ hydro fluid, other maintenance and etc. I still have under 3 hours on the unit and want to make sure it lasts forever

Nwatson99

Threads
Don't know about your hydraulic fluid you will have to reference your manual for just about everything, but most engines are 8 hr for first oil and oil filter change.
Zerks my manual says 50 hrs, but I put three pumps of grease in each every other week, but I mow over 12 acres per week.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
All, sorry if this is a repeat... But I'm a new sd owner and its my first time owning a mower. I was wondering how long should I wait before changing oil/ hydro fluid, other maintenance and etc. I still have under 3 hours on the unit and want to make sure it lasts forever

I'd check your manuals because all manufacturers are different, some say 5 hrs some say 8 hrs for oil, as for the hydro fluids again check your manual because they will also be different depending on the mower drives, the fluid being used and the manufacturer.

Kremeneon

Threads
My dealer said 25 hours for first engine oil and 100 for hydro service. I believe the Kawasaki manual said 5 hours for first oil, then every 50 after that. I changed it at 5, no filter, and 25 with filter. The next one at 50 will be switching to synthetic.

katit

Threads
Kawasaki manual says first oil change at 8 hours, but no filter change

BWH

Threads
I agree follow the manufactures recommended intervals plus buy a service log book to keep track of your new rig from day one.

This will also pay off when you trade for your next mower.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
The Cub Cadet says, first oil change at 5 hrs and change the Hydro fluids every 300 hrs. The Toro Grandstand on the other hand says first oil change at 8 hrs and Hydro fluids if you use the Toro Hypr-oil every 500 hrs and if you use Mobil1 every 250 hrs, THe Z-Master Ztr says first oil change at 8 hrs and the hydraulics and filters every 400 hrs. So you have three different mowers with three different time frames so be sure about what you're doing and check your manual. I personally use an Excel spreed sheet and made my own log book that way I keep track of every thing I do from gas and oil filters to belts to oils and fluids.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
A maintenance issue usually over looked by the manufacturers, on most lower cost lawn tractors, is the lubrication of steering components. We see the problem frequently when someone asks for those parts and it's often long before the engine is at the end of its life span.

The sector gear and pinion gear can be lubed with grease a few times / season but the pinion bearing is not that easy, especially on my LA-135. So to solve that problem I attached a a length of small clear plastic tubing to the steering shaft terminating it at the bearing. The upper end I can see and reach with my oil bottle that contains bar and chain oil. A few drops in the top gradually gravitates down to the bearing while I'm mowing. There, I fixed it Mr. John Deere. An automatic oiler without the cup.