New Mower for Female Mower

summertime

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am searching for a new lawn mower and looking for some recommendations. My yard is flat but I must maneuver around many trees and planting areas. Most of the mowing will be done by a female. What are the advantages to rear wheel drive vs. front wheel drive, electric start, personal pace, self propelled, etc. I bag in the late fall and want a bag that is easy to remove, empty and replace.

Does it matter if the mower comes from a big box type store or a lawn mower specialty sales/service shop? Are lower quality mowers sold at the big box stores?

Thanks for your comments.

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
I don't want to sound sexist but I fear I'm about to - Get one with electric start and self propel, that way she won't have any problems with it, at least if both systems work correctly.

As for recommendations on brands and models, I don't know, because I'm in the UK, not America.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I say go with a Honda. The mowers at a big box store is the same mower the dealer sells. But buy it from the dealer he will match the box store price and set it up test it out and show you how to use and care for it

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

xp14629

Threads
Plus when dealing with the dealer, if something goes wrong they will take care of you better than if you bought it at a box store and took it to them.

earthworm

Threads
I am searching for a new lawn mower and looking for some recommendations. My yard is flat but I must maneuver around many trees and planting areas. Most of the mowing will be done by a female. What are the advantages to rear wheel drive vs. front wheel drive, electric start, personal pace, self propelled, etc. I bag in the late fall and want a bag that is easy to remove, empty and replace.

Does it matter if the mower comes from a big box type store or a lawn mower specialty sales/service shop? Are lower quality mowers sold at the big box stores?

Thanks for your comments.
Much depends on the terrain and lawn size.
Many women are equally as strong as a man....so....and then there is the physical fitness aspect.
If you have between 1/2 to one acre, consider a "wide walker", 30" or more.
Find a good dealer, IMO, the service is worthwhile.
On the bag - LawnBoy - excellent, it can be no easier....Toro may be the same...This LB was designed and/or made by Toro...or something like that.
Tried the Honda 3 to 5 years ago ....the bag was so bad that I returned the machine to HD and bought a LB from Kerrys.

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
Sorry to hijack the thread, but would you guys recommend bagging for the last few cuts in Autumn (Fall) ?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
The last cuts of the year or the fall is the best time to mulch

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
I have a John Deere rear wheel drive with swivel caster wheels in the front - great machine for going around beds and trees . I have a few sears front wheel mowers.... Clunky poor traction and you have to lift it up to turn - go with one like my John Deere .

Grass ala Mowed

Threads
If money is no object go with personal pace, electric start, and rear drive. I was torn between the Kohler engine or the electric start Briggs and Stratton but sold on the personal pace. I ended up with the pull start Kohler for $100 less. My gf is 4-11 and couldn't start the mower very easily, but with the personal pace I though it was going to run out of gas before she gave it back.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would go with the Toro also. Check with all the dealers in your area, they may have some 2011 models left, with the Briggs engine. If you can afford it go with the cast alloy deck.