Export thread

D

Dms8667

Hello there,

I am Danny and I live in Starkville, MS. I have a Craftsman YTS3000 that I purchased new in late 2010. After 5 seasons of cutting an acre yard, it gave up the ghost.

I will be going to purchase a new 21 HP B&S engine to replace the original Platinum series engine.

In reading various posts on this forum, I wonder if I should purchase a fuel shutoff valve? The original machine did not have one, but various members spoke of gasoline siphoning into the crankcase, etc.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience.

Danny

Micah Haarhoff

Micah Haarhoff

Hi Danny, I would put a fuel shut off on there. I do it to all my mowers and considering that it is a very cheap part that could save you time and money fixing stuff I would go for it. :smile::thumbsup:

R

Rivets

Why waste your money or time on the shut off valve. It will only give you a false sense of security and really does nothing of value if you properly maintain your unit. If you follow good maintainance procedures you should nener need it.

B

bertsmobile1

And if you don't , or get some water in the carb, or some dirt ftom the fuel tank lodges into the float needle seat ?
It is SOP down here.
Every engine gets a fuel TAP put in line before the fuel filter.
Customers get told to turn off the fuel tap & let the rngine starve to stop.
Some follow these instructions ant their mowers give them little in the way of trouble.
Some don't and of those about 1/3 end up paying for a carb rebuild every season due to gum & varnish from evaporated fuel.
If nothing else it makes it easier & cleaner to replace fuel filters and work on carbs.

D

Dms8667

Thanks for your input!