New HRX217HZA with bad camshaft

Wolfepack88

Threads
I had the exact same issue with two brand new mowers in a row over the last couple of weeks. Mowed the first time perfectly, 4 days later went to start for 2nd mow and no go. Drove it back to dealer and yep cam shaft issue (I think it isn't allowing the automatic compression release to function properly). Dealer was awesome and gave me a brand new mower. Part 2, mowed perfectly day 1. Ironically 4 days later I went to start mower and it wouldn't start. Drove it back and said just give me a refund because if I have to worry about an $1100 lawn mower starting I don't want it. They were great and gave me a refund. I have to say it was the most disappointing purchase in my 55 years. It cut my lawn beautifully but holy crap its clear there is a problem. Go to the Honda website and look at the 1 star reviews and similar stories can be found so this is a systemic issue.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thank you for the heads up.
The techs here are well aware that there is a problem with the cam
Shame Honda decided to play secret squirrel and not come clean months ago
people do understand that when there is a parts supply problem it can take a while to sort out
People do not appreciate beeing treated like gunea pigs and kept in the dark
Most would be much happier putting off the purchase for a few months than buying the mower now and taking it back several times for replacement or repairs then eventually demanding a refund
That makes people very angry and turns them off the brand forever .

Robertog

Forum Newbie
Threads
I wrote on another post on this site that I have the very same issue with my HRX217K6, dealer cannot do anything, will not reimburse me, Honda Canada is just stone walling me with their so sorry your having problems line.So I have sent a registered letter to the CEO of Honda Canada, will post his reply to me if I get anything at all. Not holding my breath

activelife92

Threads
I wrote on another post on this site that I have the very same issue with my HRX217K6, dealer cannot do anything, will not reimburse me, Honda Canada is just stone walling me with their so sorry your having problems line.So I have sent a registered letter to the CEO of Honda Canada, will post his reply to me if I get anything at all. Not holding my breath
Try a different dealer. There is a TSB about this. Honda has released a redesigned camshaft to correct.

Robertog

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am in Canada dealerships up here are few and far between, stuck with what we have unfortunately

Robertog

Forum Newbie
Threads
Activelife92 would you please send me a link to the TSB, cannot find anything on Honda Canada's site

Superzak

Forum Newbie
Threads
I joined here just to add a bit of information. So I purchased a “new” (returned) HRX217HYAA mower from one of those guys that gets pallets of Home Depot returns with the cam issue. It was a good price and I knew I could easily install a new cam to solve the compression release issue. Now parts are on back order however, I found that if you pull the cord with the blade engaged, the momentum of the blades will overcome the compression backlash and the mower easily starts. I’ll keep running this way until the part is readily available and fix it when it’s convenient. I hope this might help someone.