new guy

zozigufi

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi
I just finished registering for the forum and posted a question about carb springs.
OOPS-I suppose I should have introduced myself 1st.
I know about.....zero....on small engines (or any engines for that matter.)
But I am willing to try just about anything. I figure , hey, it's broke and won't start or run so how bad can I make it?
Anyway getting started on carb parts.
thanks

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
Welcome to the forum!
You have my philosophy on repairs :ROFLMAO:

Born2Mow

Threads
Welcome Aboard !

It's all about "skill sets" and they way you develop new skills is to get a project and work on it.

With engines, the mantra is: fire, gas & compression. If it don't run, it's got to be one of those 3 issues. When you find it, you can ignore the other 2, which will quickly reduce the total number of places you need to inspect. IOW, if your problem is no spark, then you don't need to disassemble the carb.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Welcome Aboard !

It's all about "skill sets" and they way you develop new skills is to get a project and work on it.

With engines, the mantra is: fire, gas & compression. If it don't run, it's got to be one of those 3 issues. When you find it, you can ignore the other 2, which will quickly reduce the total number of places you need to inspect. IOW, if your problem is no spark, then you don't need to disassemble the carb.
*fire at the right time
c0504.gif

Born2Mow

Threads
*fire at the right time
c0504.gif
Yes, agreed.
But.... First check is always "fire, gas & compression". If you pass that test, then the second round of testing is "fire at the right time, gas at the right time, & compression at the right time."

Joe Kuhn

Threads
After a spark check, I'll pull the carb bowl and clean the spots with red arrows leaving the carb still on the machine.

1614442839383.png

The spun wire files shown above work good, or torch tip cleaners shown below with the ends cut off to get at that top hole in the nut.

1614442962315.png

Bad spark plugs are rare. Dirty carb is most common issue. While the plug is out, check compression with thumb over spark plug hole and a tug on the starter rope.

Welcome to the forum.