new guy with new Bad Boy Outlaw 810

samot

Threads
20140629_074033.jpgHello all .....
I recently purchased a BB Outlow , 810 Briggs ,61 in cut mower.......
Compared to my old John Deere 316 the bad boy is VERY nice.
Im not a professional mower but I like a nice yard .
we have roughly 6 acres , about 3.5 of that is fenced in pasture for the wifes horse , the rest (2.5) I mow ,
it's all different terrain. .
Some nice and flat, some mean inclines leading to basement entrance.
I have no idea what kind of grass I have [hopefully I will find out from this forum)
But we live out in the sticks and have lots of trees to mow around couple road ditches (mole problem)
Entire pasture is mowed 2 rows on the inside and of course I have to mow up again the fence while mowing the yard
The new mower makes short work of it compared to the ol John deere 316
Don't get me wrong ...... The ol deere was a good lawn tractor but the bad boy runs circles around it
When it comes to mowing.
Couple things ....
When I first started mowing with the bad boy of course it takes some getting used to.
Learned pretty fast.
Initially I had it set on 2 in cut .....
Not sure of it was cutting 2 in but I didn't like the height of the grass so I lowered it to 1.5 and raised the mower up on jack stands
And moved the deck wheels up one bolt hole all the way around
Mostly because just lowering the pin to 1.5 still didn't give me the cut I wanted ......
Now it gives me the height of cut I like.
Sometimes, it scalps a spot or two due to some of the terrain around the yard
But on the main flats it gives me the cut I like .
The mower is comfortable. ... Although I wish I could swing the fancy seat the factory one will work .
I just now have 23 hrs on her
I mow minimum of once a week and power wash her after every 2nd mow
I recently got a little cocky with it and took it out to the center of the uncut pasture and mowed my boys a circle
To ride their new 50cc motorcycle with training wheels so as they don't hit anything in the yard .
I'll admit .... mower probably want made for 3 foot tall horse pasture ...
But I raised deck to 2 in and went slow and although it was working hard
it left an Unbelievable cut and was perfect for the boys to ride their beginner motorcycles.
I'll be honest. ...getting used to the mower I've made a couple grave errors
I first mowed with the roll bar up .well . Cause I didn't know any better
I quickly snagged a tree limb with the roll bar and raised the front of the mower up pretty
High quickly. ....enuf to make me pucker , and put the roll bar in the Dow position
I did accidentally turn blades on while over the gravel drive way (brain fart of the yr)
but like I say I'm new to it so still getting used to it .
I can literally mow the main yard in an hr or so which used to take 2 , 3 hr days and
lots off steering on the ol deere
I really like this mower
There are a couple thing I don't like about it.
Traction .....
I have a few places that stay "damp" and the 2 grades leading to the basement
Are difficult to navigate because it just doesn't hook up ..
Maybe I'm still learning the lever steering system
But I think it does lack a little in the traction department.
The 60 in deck is unbelievably built
sometimes I rub a wood fence post with it and I swear it's gonna snap it off at the ground, but it being 60 in leves a Wierd cut sometimes
In road ditches, kinda like the deck is to large for the ditch ,I've tried angle into the ditch both directions to kinda V it out but sometimes it Still leves a line ...
I just mowed Friday and it was the first time I mowed since mowing the pasture
I noticed for the first time it didn't leve as nice of a cut ...
I'm guessing between me engaging blades over gravel and mowing a pasture I should not have dulled the blades .
I ordered some new ones from bad boy part online store
Hope to get those on this week before I gotta mow again. .
Ok I'll quit gabbing here
I joined this forum to learn all I can about the mower .mowing techniques, and every aspect of having as nice of a lawn as I can
Get ...
Any and all input both negative and positive is greatly appreciated. ..
Thank you
Samot

Last edited:

samot

Threads
New to this trying to upload pics from my phone. .
20140419_135133.jpg

20140629_074146.jpg

20140629_074126.jpg

20140629_074033.jpg

I'll get a picture of the front soon as I can ........
Lot more than it looks like....

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
New to this trying to upload pics from my phone. .
View attachment 21808

View attachment 21809

View attachment 21810

View attachment 21811

I'll get a picture of the front soon as I can ........
Lot more than it looks like....

Congratulations on the new BB Outlaw. I almost pulled the trigger on a 54" Outlaw in 2012 myself. The dealer wanted to charge me an extra $250 for the ROPS(which I was led to believe came standard on the Outlaw according to Bad Boy), the engine choices were B & S or Kohler(and I wanted Kawasaki) and that massive 5gauge deck was too heavy for me to use the deck lift(I had polio that affected the muscle in my right leg). Aside from those drawbacks I was impressed with the build of the Outlaw. I made the dealer a counter offer, but the Gravely won the lowest price for a "Commercial grade" ZTR. Keep us informed of how you like it after using it a couple of seasons. I read some negative cut quality revies on the BB's in 2012, but it looks like yours is giving a very nice cut. Enjoy:0)

Nwatson99

Threads
Excellent you are mowing on the pasture side of your fence we do that here as well, I also spray directly under the fences with Gly 4 Plus to eliminate the weed-eating and keep the grass out of the fence, but horses are really good about eating under the fence row, same grass in the pasture but I guess they just feel like it is forbidden grass and they go for it. LOL

samot

Threads
We have high tensile wire just high enough I can get the deck under on both sides
Just weed eat around the poles !
Plus I have that little circle path mowed in the pasture for my 4yr old to practice on his 50 motorcycle with training wheels
And not. Hit anything. ..
When I went mower shopping
I intended to buy a John deere ZTR But everyone I looked at said " not a step "on the deck
And they just seemed flimsy like an ol mtd or craftsman. .
For 7k i didn't want flimsy
I took one look at the bad boy outlaws deck and decided (at least in my mind ) it would be
Better mower .
We shall see
I had to break out the ol 316 yesterday evening , while mowing the inside of the fence I ran the BB
Into 1 of 2 wet areas I have on the place
Tire just kept spinning toward high tensile wire every time I tried to move ......
Went and fired up the 316 and grabbed a tow Strap and pulled the BB rite out ....
Drug it out actually !
I only start the 316 once a month
So I'm considering getting rid of it
But I'll probably regret getting rid of it , it is definitely a good lawn tractor. ....

Nwatson99

Threads
I have a question, it sounds like the dealer never tried to help you, what did they price you a Z model for?
Now I have seen the 920M right at 8k and for 1K more that is more mower than what you have.
If you have spent 2K more you would have gotten even more than that, so apparently you were not looking in the right places at JD mowers.

samot

Threads
Honestly don't remember
It was a little more than the bad boy
However
The "salesmans" exact words were "the bad boys don't come In for repair but
The JDs do"
I bought the bad boy.........
Sales pitch ? Maybe. ..Probably. ...
Like I say this is the first ZTR I have ever bought. ...
In fact it's the first new mower I've ever bought. ...
I flipped the coin and went with the bad boy

RetiredGuns

Threads
I mow minimum of once a week and power wash her after every 2nd mow

Nice looking mower & property. Just a word of caution about power washing. Try to avoid spraying the hydros as from what I have read you certainly don't want any water contaminating the unit. I gently hose my mower off when needed and just use a blower around the hydros.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Nice looking mower & property. Just a word of caution about power washing. Try to avoid spraying the hydros as from what I have read you certainly don't want any water contaminating the unit. I gently hose my mower off when needed and just use a blower around the hydros.
Good advice......water can be an enemy rather than a friend!!! Also, avoid spraying underneath the deck with a hose until the spindles have had a chance to cool off. After I clean the belly of my deck I run the mower with the blades engaged up and down my driveway several times to dry it out good before storing it to prevent the deck from rusting.

samot

Threads
Good advice
Thanks guys ...
I always let it cool before power washing .
And i use the nozzle that has the least amount of pressure.
I've only sprayed the hydro motors (I'm guessing the ones under mower next to
Each rear wheel ) lightly, just to get the heavy stuff off
I'd like to keep it looks as good as I can
But of course I don't want to damage anything. ...
Question. .....
Is there a specific type blade I should be using ?
Like a mulching blade or something to obtain these definitive stripes
I'm seeing all over ?
To me I like the way it mows
Wife wants stripes .......
Uhg......
Wife wants stripes
Wife gets stripes ...