New guy here - 5216 Help

OlSimplicity

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Folks!

My father passed away last year, and one of the things I decided to keep was the Simplicity 5216 w/ 42in deck that he's had since I was a little kid. I believe it's a 1986. It still runs great, and we've used it to mow roughly 2 acres year after year. It's been kept in great shape, but it wasn't used as much these past 5-6 years since he'd bought a new mower to handle the daily tasks. After bringing it down to my place, I decided to go ahead and replace most of the wearables, like the drive belt. I just wrapped up doing this, and there's one last thing that has me perplexed that I need help with...

Opposite the tension pulley is an arm to help guide the belt. I'll try and get some better pics of my own shortly, but you'll see it at 1:43-ish in this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83ITyIsaUq4&list=PLHXupBygE8lFW7NF8Vn5R8YPJYCWXhwjy&index=4&t=0s) - not my video mind you. Anyway... unlike the one in this video, my Dad had the arm pushing against the belt, which meant it was rubbing constantly while driving. In doing this though, it lifted the belt from rubbing against the steering column as it goes under the mower...you can see it in the video on the far left very briefly. If I adjust the bracket to the way it is in this video, which seems to make sense, then the belt rubs against the steering column. I really don't get it...there's really nothing I can move to route the belt any differently, and, I can see where it's already been doing this for quite some time.

Surely this isn't part of the design? Any folks in here familiar with this model that can provide some input? Given it's age, aside from the manual itself (which doesn't mention or show this arm), there's not a lot out there.

Thanks for the assist!

OlSimplicity

Forum Newbie
Threads
So...are these better pictures? Egh. I don't have the mower on a lift so it's a bit hard to get all the right angles. The first few show the arm the way it was, pushing against the belt, but lifting the belt off the steering shaft. The last one shows the bracket the way I'd think it should be...but then with the belt against the steering shaft.

IMG_1606 copy.jpgIMG_1607 copy.jpgIMG_1608 copy.jpgIMG_1609 copy.jpgIMG_1610 copy.jpg

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The last photo is as it should be.
If it really urks you then buy a flat idler as large as you can get that will fit between the side rail & the belt then bolt it in so it deflects the belt about 1/2"
I can not get orientated with your photos but if it is on the tension side ( the pulling side of the belt then you nee to fit a steel pulley.
If it is on the slack side ( push side ) then you can fit a plastic one.
I for one would not bother as it is only when the belt is slapping that it rubs on the steering shaft.