New Engine Needed

Cusser

Threads
I replaced the engine in my 2005 LT1000 lawn tractor a few years ago. The new engine came with an oil filter, bolted right in, was the best decision for me.

Funny - I had starting issues for a couple of years on the original engine, even did the valve adjustment thing a few times; but the new engine has started right up and cranks/turns easier.

OSmiss

Forum Newbie
Threads
Man, I ordered the engine from surplus engines Monday night and UPS just dropped it off. Dang that was quick! I cant get to it today, but wish me luck. ?

Cusser

Threads
For mine, R&R of the new engine was straightforward. Absolutely don't forget to add oil !!!

As my new engine had an oil filter, I also made sure to order a spare. My engine takes
Oil filter 2.25 in. high, OD 3.0 inches 3/4" -16 Thread Size [Oregon 83-013 B&S 492932 or 492932S (short) Kohler 25-050-01 Tecumseh 36563]

OSmiss

Forum Newbie
Threads
I got the engine in. It went very smooth and the engine fit perfect and everything was able to be reused. I remembered to add the oil Bertsmoble1. I wrote down each step I took, and reversed the process for assembly. I have reviewed a couple videos about it, and I think I did it correct, but it won’t start. I drained the tank and put fresh gas in and nothing. I am at wits end at this point. I may have to take it to a pro.

Last edited:

Cusser

Threads
it won’t start. I drained the tank and put fresh gas in and nothing.
Did you try to spray some aerosol starting fluid into the air cleaner or carb throat, then trying to start? Just may be needing this prime.

If that doesn't get it to start - even for a few seconds - with several tries, then you need to check for spark; for that, you might need a helper.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Start with the basics
The engine should be fine and one of the few things that you have to adjust is the throttle & choke .
Check that the choke is closing fully and the throttle is working .

If that is OK then a couple of other things to check

Get a 1/2" open ender , grind it a bit thin then remove the solenoid on the bottom of the carb
1) fuel should come out if the fuel pump is connected properly
2) the little plunger should pull in when you turn the mower on and pop back out when you turn it off .

Before you replace the solenoid pull the fuel line off the carb & crank the engine
You should see a strong fuel flow if the fuel pump is hooked up right

OSmiss

Forum Newbie
Threads
It’s running good. I went to a friends house that had a similar motor and looked at his throttle. I had the adjustment in the wrong whole. When I would set the choke it was closing it and vice versa. when I set it correctly it started right up. Yay!!!! Thank you for all your help, especially with the engine options Bertsmobile. The mower works great and I hope to get several more years out of it.

Last edited:
Threads
I have a T-3000 Craftsman mower with a 22 HP Briggs and Stratton Platinum engine. The mower is about 5 years old and the engine blew. Mowers are expensive so I wanted to just replace the engine. It seems like something in my skill set.

Can anyone help me order a new engine? I don’t care if it is an exact replacement (brand or 22 vs 18 HP) as long they fit or interchangeable.

I am confused because I found a sticker on the frame with model number 917249491 and Serial Number 100198T152793
I also found a stamp on the engine itself with a
Model 44R677
Type 0021G1
Code 150424YG

Thanks for any help.

.View attachment 59185View attachment 59186View attachment 59187View attachment 59188
ok ive got a 18hp kawasaki used do you want it it runs like a top for 150 bucks

Cusser

Threads
It’s running good. I went to a friends house that had a similar motor and looked at his throttle. I had the adjustment in the wrong whole. When I would set the choke it was closing it and vice versa. when I set it correctly it started right up. Yay!!!! Thank you for all your help, especially with the engine options Bertsmobile. The mower works great and I hope to get several more years out of it.
GREAT !!! Thanks for posting the fix.
I had a choke issue on my own 2005 LT1000; I added a small spring from hardware store to fix that.