New EGO 56 Volt Li-Ion Battery garden tools at Home Depot

papajack

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / New EGO 56 Volt Li-Ion Battery garden tools at Home Depot
I bought all the EGO tools except the chain saw, the first year they came out. I love them. Have never had a problem. Just bought a electric riding lawnmower that runs for 2 hours. This tools are great.

MikeQBF

Threads
Very little EGO chatter on this forum, so either nobody's buying 'em, or nobody has problems. ;)

Seriously, two updates to mull if anyone is interested. First is Home Depot discontinued carrying EGO earlier this year, and is now fronting their house brand, Ryobi. I bought the EGO 21" pusher back in June for $360 on clearance and love the heck out of it.

Second, EGO shut down their user forum (in July, I think), promising it would be back, but now there is no mention of it. I have a hunch they were having to moderate too many angry complaints about product deliveries and shortages, esp. those handled through HD. I know firsthand about this; I almost ended-up with two for the price of one because the HD-EGO logistics communications were very sloppy.

Ace Hardware still features the line, and it looks like Lowe's is handling EGO now, albeit just the hand tools at the moment. Given that over half of my mower investment is in the battery and charger, I'm planning on staying within the EGO ecosystem for the hand tools.

If the LawnWorld moderators are paying attention here: possibly the lack of EGO talk can be attributed to the forum search. "EGO" is too short and forum software won't let you search for it. Frankly, IMO that's a problem. I think this particular forum engine has an "exceptions" list that can be populated for topic-relevant search terms that would otherwise not get past the filter. Also - while I have your attention - with growing activity in electric lawn tools, wouldn't it be nice to include the more popular electric brands in the main list? Or subdivide the electric section into brands? Thanks!

MowerMike

Threads

MowerMike

Threads
There are a few interesting new EGO products:

First, they are finally actually selling their long rumored 10 Ah Godzilla battery for $449 at Lowe's. EGO claims that it will fit all their 56 volt tools, so I guess that it will fit in the lawn mower compartments, despite it's larger dimensions.

Second, they are selling an even faster 700W charger that will recharge the 10 Ah battery in just 60 minutes, and it's also available for $149 at Lowe's.

Third, they are now selling a string trimmer with an adjustable length telescoping shaft to accommodate shorter folks like myself. Unfortunately, it also features their silly Powerload feature, which winds the string with a motor instead of manually, so you have to be careful to not accidentally wind it too far. If you do, then you have to disassemble the string head in order to remove the string and start again. It sells tool only for $199 at Lowe's.

Fourth, there is an XP (extra power) version of their Select Cut two blade self-propelled lawn mower, which promises to cut through even the toughest grass. It is kitted with the new 10 Ah battery and 700W charger that will recharge the 10 Ah battery in 60 minutes and promises up to 75 minutes runtime. It sells for $749 at Lowe's.

Fifth, there is the 42" ZTR riding mower that uses up to 6 10 Ah batteries, and that I've discussed in another thread.

The transition from Home Depot to Lowe's is now complete. All EGO products are available at Lowe's and Home Depot has completely discontinued the EGO line. They are also available at ACE Hardware.

Last edited:

RussBarnes

Forum Newbie
Threads
Year 6 on an EGO 20" mower and weed eater. The mower gets used about 20min a week, for six months a year. Fescue grass, no tall weeds. I now will have to buy my third battery, and they aren't cheap. The weedeater is seldom used and it needs battery #2. Wish I had stuck with IC.

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
Have you calculated how much you would have spent for gas/oil ?

Mad_mat222

Threads
I test drove their 42” zero turn and I was impressed. I picked it up it is so light. Drove well. Dont know how it would last long term but it was good enough to give a go. The $9000 price tag makes it comparable or on the higher end of commercial machines in that size but I just don’t see them holding up as good as a Kubota 42” that you can get for $6k. This is an objective opinion and not an emotional one about debating ice v ev. For a home owner mowing twice a month I think it would be worth the investment. 2hr run time is more than enough for the average punter.

GregW_Oregon

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the EGO LB6003 backpack blower with 7.5A battery, and plan on getting the mower in the next month or so. Convenience and low noise are great. Unless you're working commercially or have a huge property they are fine for most people.

GrumpyCat

Threads
Year 6 on an EGO 20" mower and weed eater. The mower gets used about 20min a week, for six months a year. Fescue grass, no tall weeds. I now will have to buy my third battery, and they aren't cheap. The weedeater is seldom used and it needs battery #2. Wish I had stuck with IC.
I am still using my original 7.5Ah battery from 2016. Used to keep it on the charger all the time when not in use. But for winter, then I make sure it is inside where it can not freeze, and I let it sit out of the charger. Still has 50 minutes of the original 70 capacity. But it is hard to say because the speed of the mower and thickness of the grass makes a big difference in runtime. I may well be working the mower harder now. 21" SP.