New Earthwise 17" and 19" Li-Ion battery powered lawn mowers

KrashnKraka

Threads
  • / New Earthwise 17" and 19" Li-Ion battery powered lawn mowers
That mower has a maximum cutting height of less than 3", which would be a deal breaker for me, but perhaps would suit your needs. Also the cutting width is only 17", which means more passes to get the job done.

Yeup...we (.au--FNQ) git creeping grass here, not standing.
Anything that stands is a weed and gets the liquid weedwhacker :->

Mow at maybe 35mm (1.5") max..and that only in our winter
which usually lasts maybe two weeks.
The 17" is a pain and why I hold back... Makita is bound to go larger shortly.
I aint brand dependant but the Makita range is easily equal to your DeWalt
range,, and in some tools much superior.
Then again they may shortcut fir a domestic market...dunno, wait an' see?

MowerMike

Threads
Re: I just bought the Earthwise 20" Li-Ion battery powered lawn mower

The price was $299.99 from Premier Appliance via Amazon with free shipping and no sales tax. They only had one in stock, so I quickly jumped on it. That price is $40 less than the current best internet price from Mowers Direct. Anyway, this model has been getting good reviews with most complaints being rather petty, so I took a chance. The main reason I bought it is that my current Greenworks Twin Force Li-Ion lawn mower has a maximum cutting height of 3-3/8", which is too low for summer grass cutting where I live, and the Earthwise 20" model 60420 maxes out at 4". I have been using my very heavy 24 volt SLA mower for summer cutting, and this new mower should knock about 40 lbs off the weight. It will also knock a lot time off battery recharging. The only thing I really do not like about this new mower is its mediocre warranty, which is only 2 years on the mower and 1 year on the battery. Everyone else offers at least a 2 year warranty on their Li-Ion batteries. Once I receive this mower and get a chance to put it through its paces I'll update this thread.

Well, I just received it today and had a major disappointment as the seller (Premier Appliance) shipped me a used and damaged unit instead of the new unit that was promised in the listing. I sent an email to the seller via Amazon with the details, so we'll see how it plays out. Since the mower appears to be fully functional except for a broken front left wheel, I told the seller that I would be willing to retain the mower with a 50% refund and replacement of the broken wheel. Otherwise, I will return the mower for a full refund with free return shipping. I did fire it up and it seems to work fine on either battery, which I was able to fully charge. The one disappointment is that the blade is only 19" long and seems a lot thinner and flimsier that the 20" blade on my old 24 volt SLA mower.

IMGP2075S.jpg
IMGP2077S.jpg
IMGP2074S.jpg
IMGP2081S.jpg
IMGP2079S.jpg

Last edited:

MowerMike

Threads

Well, I just received it today and had a major disappointment as the seller (Premier Appliance) shipped me a used and damaged unit instead of the new unit that was promised in the listing. I sent an email to the seller via Amazon with the details, so we'll see how it plays out. Since the mower appears to be fully functional except for a broken front left wheel, I told the seller that I would be willing to retain the mower with a 50% refund and replacement of the broken wheel. Otherwise, I will return the mower for a full refund with free return shipping. I did fire it up and it seems to work fine on either battery, which I was able to fully charge. The one disappointment is that the blade is only 19" long and seems a lot thinner and flimsier that the 20" blade on my old 24 volt SLA mower.

View attachment 26841
View attachment 26842
View attachment 26843
View attachment 26844
View attachment 26845

I just received an email from the seller, and they have refunded $175, which is more than the 50% I requested, so it looks like I will be keeping this mower. They have also promised to send me a replacement wheel, although even if they don't it looks like a pretty conventional 7" x 1.5" wheel that I should be able to find in a local store if necessary. I can now remove some of the stupid safety stickers and tags, some of which are falling off anyway, and discard the box and packing material, since I won't be returning the mower. Another thing I discovered after more careful inspection is that the wiring sheath from the handlebar was badly cut near the entry point to the housing exposing the inner wires, which I've repaired with electrical tape. I've also given the blade a good sharpening. I can't wait to put it through its paces.

MowerMike

Threads

I just received an email from the seller, and they have refunded $175, which is more than the 50% I requested, so it looks like I will be keeping this mower. They have also promised to send me a replacement wheel, although even if they don't it looks like a pretty conventional 7" x 1.5" wheel that I should be able to find in a local store if necessary.

Well, the replacement wheel arrived today, and although it is obviously used, it is not broken or worn out. I emailed the seller that I had received it and was immediately refunded the balance of my payment. So I now have a perfectly functional, albeit cosmetically challenged lawn mower for free!

I ran it for about a half hour with the mulch plug on my somewhat barren summer lawn, so it never kicked into high power mode, and it only consumed about half the charge on the larger 4 Ah battery. So I have no doubt that I can easily complete mowing on my .15 acre lawn even when it is thick, moist and long. I would estimate that this mower can easily complete mowing on a 1/4 acre lawn, or even perhaps a 1/3 acre lawn. It is just as easy to push as my Greenworks 20" Twin Force mower, which weighs about 5 pounds less with its plastic deck. It looks like it shares a lot of parts with my old Earthwise model 60120 20" 24V SLA mower such as the motor fan that I can use as spares. Needless to say, being 40 pounds lighter it is much easier to push. The batteries have no markings to indicate country of manufacture, and rumor has it that the cells are Korean made by LG, which are much higher quality than typical Chinese made lithium-ion cells.

Last edited: