New Craftsman lawnmowers

logert gogert

Threads
This is an electric start model.Big wheels in the back.Looks very good.Smooth lines,but i like same size wheels,no electric start.I didn't know there was a "270".
are wanting to get a electric start model?
i have an pull start gcv 190, sorry, i didnt know you wanted a different engine model then what mine is, so take my opinion on hwat i said with a grain of salt

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
i like same size wheels,no electric start.

I like the way this guy thinks. I don't know enough about the current Briggs or Honda but be patient, some very knowledgeable people are on here and one of them will see this and give you some advice.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Push mowers are all about the engines. The rest of it, is all basic stuff. The 2nd the most important part of it, besides the engine, is going to be the front trans/diff. But the chances of them going out anytime soon, is rare.

Knowing what I know about push mowers, and how easy an engine swap is, I'd take a $50 used one over and $300 new one, any day. $50 and a can of Rustoleum gloss, that is.

BTW, I'm cheap. If you're not. Then just disregard this post. lmao

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just my opinion, I’ve not seen a front wheel drive Craftsman mower that has gone for more than five years with a tranny problem. Personally I don’t think that they are cost effective.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
My lawn boy is going strong for 25+ years. No self propelled, no electric start. It just spins a chunk of semi sharp metal near the ground. Simple may not be better but lasts a heck of a lot longer. Only thing that has worn out is the wheels.

Lawn Addict
Threads
My lawn boy is going strong for 25+ years. No self propelled, no electric start. It just spins a chunk of semi sharp metal near the ground. Simple may not be better but lasts a heck of a lot longer. Only thing that has worn out is the wheels.
Agreed, my 15 year old MTD w/Briggs Flat Head is still doing fine. I did drill the plastic rims & bushed them them with some old stock I had.

mikehouse

Threads
Mine is 21-22 years old.I personally got it 6 years ago.Kept it up(carb rebuilds,blades,filters,1 belt,pulley).It was my 1st mower and it did the job well.So it's hard to NOT want to get the tranny fixed BEFORE i invest on a new one.Just wondering if anyone has fixed a tranny on 1,and is it worth it? What about replacing it with 1 of these newer models? My Lawnboy is just as old with fewer fixes,but i can't do with it(RWD) what i do with the craftsman.Thanks for the comments too.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have 3 MTD made push mowers in the shop right now. All 3 have issues with the front wheel drive. The TroyBilt needs front wheel adjuster parts that come back NLA. Another one needs a new drive assy. $150, cust says No. Going to convert to nonself propeled. Looks like i can fix one of them with new wheels. My son's Husqvarna chewed the plastic gears out of the wheels in just a few years.