New Coils and Plugs, Now Hard to Start!

bk10s

Well-Known Member
I'm replacing the coils on a Vanguard 350777, 18HP. I can't get on the coil bolts with a socket because the flywheel is in the way. Use a 5/16 box wrench? Thank you!
 
Replaced both coils and 2 new Champion RC12YC plugs. Runs GREAT, and no more pop pop pop when increasing the rpm when hot. BUT.....Engine used to start easily when cold before replacing coils and plugs. Now difficult to start. Turns over easily. What changed????????
 
Last edited:
Use a Business Card, gap is .010 for coils. Adjust valves with engine cold .005, intake & exhaust valves .004 - .006. Did you use OEM B&S Coils per your Engine Model #? Post Model xxxxxx, Type xxxx, Trim xx, Code xxxxxxx from engine Data Plate. thanks, Mark
 
Last edited:
So, you're thinking that I do not have enough gap on the coils? Adjusted the valves to .006 prior to replacing coils and started easily. Am I taking that damn shroud off again?......GRRRRRRR

I did use OEM coils. 350777 1152-E1 99102111
 
Last edited:
Absolutely yes, a Business Card will work perfect between ears on coils. Patience, you have a Commercial Engine. Inspect engine cooling fins thoroughly for being clean. Let us know how it goes, thanks, Mark
I posted Manuals above, you may have them already, thanks for posting, Mark
 
Last edited:
Back
Top