New carb leaking gas

heydude348

Forum Newbie
Threads
I replaced the carb on a Kohler CV14ST and it leaks through the throat and spills out of the carb. This is the second carb that has done this. They were both China carbs, but I find it hard to believe that both out of the box would leak. I would buy a Kohler carb but cant locate one. Anyone help?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I don't
A lot of what you buy from Amazon or ebay are actually defective carbs bought as scrap metal then sold to cheapskates
All the after market parts distributors do a line of aftermarket carbs that usually work properly
So go to Oregon, Stens, Rotary or Prime Line , check their catalogues then look for a supplier near you .
You an also check the vendors "other items"
If they sell everything from car & mower parts through to food & clothing then they are a disposal agent
Some might be superceeded stock some will be obsolete stock some will be scrap.
You could also have collapsing fuel lines or debris in the fuel that is blocking the bowl needle .

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
You need to sell a kidney to afford new kohler carbs. That being said i have never had a Amazon Ebay AM kohler carb work out of the box. They either have bad needle and seat but always not jetted correctly. In contrast i have installed a couple dozen AM honda carbs with no issues. Go figure.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
Put the carb on a vise in some soft jaws or rags something and pressure test it to see if it is leaking down. It may be that the exhaust valve is not opening properly etc., or the flywheel key is partially sheared.