New batteries for cmm1200 or replace?

sdsvtdriver

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2010 B&D CMM1200 that I got for free from the county when I traded in an old gas mower. It has served my well for 9 years. Today I was mowing my somewhat tall grass and it was struggling. Figured it's time for a battery. 9 years isn't a bad run.

It's a 24v mower with 2 12v batteries connected together. Cheap Amazon battery is about $80, but review aren't the best. 1-2 years if I'm lucky and I have concerns with cheap (likely) Chinese batteries always plugged in and charging in the garage. I can source the original Panasonic battery from Mouser for about $180 shipped. Now we're getting up there in price for a 9 year old mower. Batteries Plus has a Duracell for ~$140 which is what I've decided I'd get if I were to buy batteries.

I see there are some newer cordless mowers. Ego gets the most press and has a 56v system. Greenworks/Kobalt have an 80v. The higher voltage mowers seem to be the best from an electronics standpoint and it seems Kobalt has the battery warranty and customer service (Go figure). I'm not much for store branded equipment, however as they usually are lower featured or quality than the name brand for obvious reasons.

This weekend is sale weekend so I poked around. HD doesn't seem to have the Ego on sale. Kobalts are $50 off or so. I didn't buy anything.

I'm leaning toward replacing the battery. Considering the mower was free in the first place, $140 to extend the life of the B&D seems reasonable. Will likely get a new blade for $25 and sharpen the old one as a spare, so let's say ~$170 to revitalize a 9 year old mower. I imagine battery mowers will continue to improve and hopefully I can buy myself another 5 years before I have to buy one. Thoughts? Any CMM1200 owners still happy with the unit or is everyone going Li-Ion?

~2500 square feet of grass. Already have B&D string trimmer/blower which is sufficient. Not going gas.

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
Does your mower have 2 stage or multi-stage 'load sensing'. newer mowers can change their power based on load, that extends mowing time.

could be time for an upgrade.

sdsvtdriver

Forum Newbie
Threads
Does your mower have 2 stage or multi-stage 'load sensing'. newer mowers can change their power based on load, that extends mowing time.

could be time for an upgrade.

No, it's just a basic mower.

videobruce

Threads
I have had that model for 23 years.
I am probably on my 5th set of gel cells. I wouldn't get them from Amazon, go to a outlet that specializes in batteries. There are plenty of them. Better choice and better batteries.
BatteryMart for starters. :thumbsup:

BTW, you can order 1 or 2 sizes up if you don't mind modifying the mounting arrangement. I did that one time, but the problem was, bringing it in the basement in the winter. The weight difference was a killer, but the run time basically doubled.

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
there are drop-in lithium replacements for gel cells. Probably very expensive at first, but likely more power, longer-lived, and lighter weight. They have their own charging management so, should be direct replacement.

Last edited:

1 Lucky Texan

Threads

videobruce

Threads
Sheesh, now I'm sorry I asked. :frown:

It never occurred to me to look into packs that were something other than gel cell, let along Li-Ion. Nor even looking into forums on this mower since I really never had a problem with mine (other than their 3 electrical recalls, those cheap plastic wheels that were replaced 3x and of course battery replacement. I have had mine for 23 years. Can't wait to see how long this replacement will last. :rolleyes:

I see what you mean about being 'expensive'. How about a single 24volt single version since this takes two 12v in series and I read that some of those can't be run in series which this mower would require.

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
There are 24V batteries that seem to have there own management for charging. There are the 2 guys in the bottom links that retrofit lithium AND a new charger into their mowers, and some of the batteries can be run is series, the others would need inqury. I suppose a lot depends on the actual space you have available.

https://www.electriccarpartscompany.com/Replacement-Drop-In-for-24V-Lead-Acid-Batteries_c_210.html

My guess is, the scooter batteries with their own chargers, probably taken apart and re-configured to fit, would be the cheapest way forward for you but....lots to educate yourself about.

Even when you've done that, you won't have 'load sensing' like newer mowers have. Fun project if you have some eelctro-mechanical experience and time for a weekend of tinkering I guess. But, these new batteries have a lot of energy in them and you do need to be cautious with them. passenger airlines won't ship lithium batteries as cargo - we use them where I work - because their energy density approaches the same as low-grade explosives.

The money is probably better spent on a new Craftsman or Greenworks, or ?,etc. mower.

videobruce

Threads
"The money is probably better spent on a new Craftsman or Greenworks, or ?,etc. mower." I already have. :thumbsup:

I wound up doing a search for a 24v version and was flabbergasted by the prices. Amazing just what is available in much larger capacities (and the cost).