New 20" gas engine push mowers are still $99.99

Mower King

Threads
I just saw an ad flyer in the local newspaper - New, Gas engine 20" push mower with large rear wheels for $99.99
I thought the days of $100 mowers were gone, I guess not!

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
That's interesting. Even with really cheap stuff there can't be any real profit in that?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I read somewhere that some of the Chinese clone engines, the cost to make them is like 35 or $40USD...they sell for about $120-130...

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
When MTD started using their made in China engines we where told that their cost was $38 manufactured and delivered to the USA factory from China. Which is kind of embarrassing because I had a customer a couple weeks ago that ran their engine without oil, and the MTD engine was $367 for a $299 push mower.

Mower King

Threads
I was in Lowes the other day and peeked at their push mowers, $169 for the cheapest one, Walmart online I believe was $165, so this $99 mower kinda surprised me!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Go to Made In China and see just how many factories can sell you a complete mower for under $ 50 and if you buy enough, that is a landed price.
The local hardwear store just bought 300 mowers for $ 34 each painted in his own colours with his own brand name on them.
He will retail them for $ 150 ( AUS) which is just under $ 100 US .
300 was just short of a full 40' container load so the freight on them was just under $ 20 ( aus ) each .
He intends to sell 250 and keep 50 in reserve for warranty then auction off any of them that remain , to avoid compulsory warranty on the last batch .

Any one can do it if you have the space to house a full container load of mowers and you are less than 1/2 day from the wharf so you can avoid rental on the container.
We get cheaper container rates than the USA because these sorts of deals are done using condemened containers as the largest manufactured export from here is empty containers so all the dead boxes get sent here to rust away.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
That's interesting. Even with really cheap stuff there can't be any real profit in that?

I guess I'm just living in the past? No wonder China is taking over the world.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Greed is taking over the world
China is just fulfilling that greed like Singapore before it, Korea before Singapore & Japan before that.

The only difference is before the WWW you had to send buyers to these places so only the big boys like Lowes, HF & Wallies could do it.
Now everyone can from their bedrooms & they will till there are so many Americans ( or Aussies ) on unemployment benefits no one will be left to buy the junk .
Any one who owns their own home can get a letter of credit sufficient to buy container loads of junk from any third world country
Amazon & Ebay the provide the customers almost for free and annonomously so when your neighbours get retrenched they won't know it was you who sent them to the poor house.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Looks like a big player in this is Alibaba. Look for a part or item you've bought lately on their site and you'll see what you could get that for in a lot of 100, or 1000. Pretty amazing. And they are probably not the cheapest wholeseller of Asian merch.