Neighbor gave me a snapper self propelled walk behind 21" that had a Briggs big six with thrown rod.

Timbo37

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Neighbor gave me a snapper self propelled walk behind 21" that had a Briggs big six with thrown rod.
Hi all,

Neighbor gave me a snapper self propelled walk behind 21" that had a Briggs big six with thrown rod. Couldn't stand to let it (the clean deck) just sit.

Ebay (3 months ago) had FJ180 Heavy flywheel (without the brake but had carb throttle) for $206 bucks and some luck in shafts being the same )all blade, pulley and blade fit but had to build a adapter to move the tank, put on a B&S exhaust deflector (not shown), Throttle cable added some commercial wheels and...Shazam!!! Took 2 hours to do it all.

Check it out.

View attachment 55000

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
  • / Neighbor gave me a snapper self propelled walk behind 21" that had a Briggs big six with thrown rod.
That Kawasaki looks right at home on that deck!

upupandaway

Threads
Timbo, JC did u have to modify the blade adapter on yours? I got the old FJ180 recently and i had to modify the key to fit.
Also, being the exhaust is awfully close to the chute, yours did not melt the chute? I'm afraid to bag mine and melt the chute.

wingless

Threads
Welcome to the forum.

The exhaust on mine dumps out the other side.

IMO the blade brake is an important safety feature that should exist on all mowers.

Good luck w/ your machine.

My 1985 starts on the first pull and has been a workhorse for decades.

36376842295_68820f129d_b.jpg

Timbo37

Forum Newbie
Threads
Welcome to the forum.

The exhaust on mine dumps out the other side.

IMO the blade brake is an important safety feature that should exist on all mowers.

Good luck w/ your machine.

My 1985 starts on the first pull and has been a workhorse for decades.

36376842295_68820f129d_b.jpg

Hi< Thanks

Your mower looks great.

Thanks but I dont need something to stop the motor, I can do it and have for 50yrs.

Thats a intek (dumps on the other side), got 2 dead ones given to me last month with bad valves, Glad yours works for you. Have replaced 10 and sold them with Honda 160 and 190 motors salvage from Honda mowers with bad transmissions also given to me or bought for cheap,

I have 4 of the de-thatchers hanging on the biulding rafters and a new set of the factory swivel wheels, I find the arkawd to use and just use the blade with springs instead. I use that deck because the front end is not welded and I can put the plastic swivel wheels for the zero turn option but I would lose the metal front wheels which I like. I have a Honda 190 set up like this but the Kaw has a little more torque.

Thanks
Tim

Timbo37

Forum Newbie
Threads
Timbo, JC did u have to modify the blade adapter on yours? I got the old FJ180 recently and i had to modify the key to fit.
Also, being the exhaust is awfully close to the chute, yours did not melt the chute? I'm afraid to bag mine and melt the chute.

UPUPANDAWAY, no the 6HP Quantum shaft was 3-5/32 long 25.4 dia and so was the Kaw so it was exact change over, I used everything. The Kaw was warming up the chute but not melting it and after 4 mowes after that pic was taken and so as I mentioned in my post, I put a generic B&S deflector on it as shown below that you can get from amazon. It does not affect HP power in any bad way, that I can tell and the chute is normal temp.

Attachments

• 2020-12-04 18.28.00.jpg
    2020-12-04 18.28.00.jpg
    690.9 KB · Views: 7

upupandaway

Threads
Thanks Timbo. The key on my blade adapter was wider than the slot on the engine so i had to widen that. I'll buy the deflector JIC.