Need to identify unknown starter

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Customer came in yesterday with this starter he says came off a Briggs.
It is totally unfamiliar to me and searching using the numbers stamped into the top bracket ( 9412295M) came up with nothing
Do any of you with more experience than me recognise it ?
The problem is some one has tried to undo the + cable nut & broken the housing so there is nothing inside to anchor the + terminal bolt.
The customer dennied touching it however when opened there were no + brushes, just the 2 ground ones that are riveted to the alloy end cap , one missing the spring and the clamping bolt head was so rounded I had to use a stud extractor to remove it.
Customer also reckons he had started the mower a few times using this starter ( really ).
I hate customers than BS to me but just the same it needs to be fixed.
I have a good supply of brushes & brush holders but none will fit inside the current end cap and the flat steel ones will not clamp onto the body
It is a 16 tooth pinion
Thanks greatly

IMG_1929.JPG IMG_1930.JPG IMG_1931.JPG

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I guess he didnt give you a engine Model, or even what type equipment it is on....

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Definitely Briggs style. There was some that had aluminum end caps with that style of gear return spring retainer. Don't know if it was original Briggs or some knockoff. The aluminum cap ones were later replaced with the more modern steel end cap ones that we are using today.

dougand3

Threads
If Bert doesn't know, dunno who will. LOL
Has similar looks to 422700 genre Opposed Twins: 394808 and 497596 - 16 tooth gear
Except mount plate is vertical, not horizontal

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks,
When I measured it up against a new Briggs one the position of the pinions were not exactly the same which is why I was worried about supplying a new one.
From memory the positions left right front back were about the same but the heights of the pinion in both engaged & loose position were higher

Tinkerer200

Threads
I suspect you can use about any B&S starter by switching the end/mounting plate.

Walt Conner

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks Walt.
Took a punt & sent him home with whatever Prime Line sell as their heavy duty Briggs starter plus his old one ( which he wanted me to trade in ), .
The customer was full of BS and had nothing but the old starter which had a broken brush housing , no power brushes and only 1 spring for the ground brushes.
He swears blind he did not pull it apart and also that it had been starting fine till last week which of course we know it could not have been doing.
If it comes back I will update the thread

AVB

Threads
It is very possible he didn't personally took it apart. Even then he knew it had been damaged when he brought the starter in.

Customers that like that are not needed as they are trouble with a capital T. Yes it is a very old style starter as Briggs has re-engineered starter's end cap and starter Bendix. Looks like an old 12.5 L head starter. Being this old the model and type would have been up help.

I once had a customer to bring his Craftsman rider for a deck idler pulley replacement. No deck belt and the starter was so worn out it was dragging at the start up just to unload the rider. I told the customer he needed a new starter but he refused to let me install a new starter. Well when I got in the idler pulley and install it I was needing the customer bring in the deck belt.

Well to things worst the starter finished failing. I went ahead got the deck installed and had the customer to pick up the rider. He proceeded after getting it home to remove the starter and in the process breaks off the starter cable post. He calls me and cussing up a storm that I had intentionally broke his starter plus I didn't install a Craftsman deck belt. I informed him that I install the belt he provided and he was informed the starter was failing which I did not touch due because didn't want it replaced. Called several times cussing and threatening so to sue. Finally he called one day, my mother answered the phone and he cussed her out. That did it. I proceeded to call the local sheriff department and sent a deputy to his home. I didn't hear from him after the visit. He didn't think I had his home address.

It is my policy to have the equipment info so I can look-up the correct parts even though it does take a little extra work when manufacture like Briggs has incorrect IPL info. I rather lose the sale than sale or install the incorrect parts.