Need some Stihl FS90 Trimmer help (im an idiot)

chuckles

Threads
yesterday I took my tractor over to my inlaws to help her tame some tall pasture grass. I have some brackets on my ROPS to haul my stihl trimmer on my mower for just such an occasion that are similar to those tool and rifle brackets that guys use on ATV's. Long story short is I didn't realize that when I hit a bump the head end of my trimmer came dislodged and was only hanging by the motor end attached to my rops. When I went to raise my deck (which also raised my 3ph) the shaft of my trimmer got bound in the rear implement and put a bend in my straight shaft. I was able to put the trimmer on the ground and get it pretty close to straight but there is still a very slight "s", zig/zag, bend, or whatever you want to call it in my fs90's straight shaft. I started the trimmer and tested the throttle (probably not smart in hind sight) and every thing seemed to work fine and without any binding or grinding noise. My question is 2 fold. 1. is it ok to have a little bend in my trimmer shaft? Ive also got a curve shafted fs55 but I think the drive shaft in it is a flex cable that drives the head but I was under the impression my fs90 had a solid drive shaft to run heavy duty implements? I cant find any good parts diagrams or lists online and was wondering how hard and what kind of cost to replace my trimmer shaft and drive shaft if needed? Open to any insight and info I can receive. thanks gang. If I need to post some pics I will just let me know.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Experience. Only straight shaft Ryobi. It had a flex drive. Why don't you dismantle ,disassemble and fully straighten the tube? Sounds simple , perhaps not.

chuckles

Threads
that's actually one of the things im considering just looking for insight as to how hard that would be and a possible solution for straightening.... all help appreciated.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
The Ryobi had a mild steel tube of thin gauge. If I were straightening an ideal surface would be an anvil-vanishing tool, I know. Or a hydrauic press. You will get spring back so probably would need to find the last bow and reverse bend. If mild steel you could heat and repaint.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I too have a Stihl FS90 R , Never had to work on it , if, the damage is only slight as you say , I would try it for awhile and go from there . Stihl is " CAPTIVE " on their parts ........ ( means you can only get them from an authorized dealer ) I'm inclined to believe the FS-90 probably has a "flex" shaft as most trimmers use them . ............ Boobala

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Experience. Only straight shaft Ryobi. It had a flex drive. Why don't you dismantle ,disassemble and fully straighten the tube? Sounds simple , perhaps not.

that's actually one of the things im considering just looking for insight as to how hard that would be and a possible solution for straightening.... all help appreciated.

Why don't you just order another Drive tube, it would be easier and probably not that expensive. It's not that big a deal to replace, you can do the work yourself. It would be a lot safer than play with that tube and trying ti straighten it.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
That's best unless cost prohibits.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
That's best unless cost prohibits.

Me personally I'd take it apart because it has a solid straight driveshaft and check the thing out and find out if the driveshaft mite be bent and as long as I have it apart just replace the drive tube and make things right.

chuckles

Threads
I saw a pic of a new tube and shaft online and see why it "could" work if straightened as the shaft isn't as large as the tube but I also see why if the shaft was bent it could cause more harm than good to run with a wobble. I will try to disassemble and drouble check. there is a new shaft and tube on ebay for 60 right now with 1.5 days left. Anyone have access to a price list to let me know what the two would cost from a dealer? Would help guide my bidding late sunday night if so.