Need new Diesel Engine for Saber Tooth Tiger

Milam

Forum Newbie
Threads
i have a Scag Sabre Tooth Tiger in good condition. My engine warms up and the oil pressure drops. I am guessing that I need a new engine. Any recommendations on buying a new engine or getting this one overhauled?

Love this mower. A hired hand used to overheat by not cleaning the screen. Also, did not do a cool down. The turbo is probably in need of replacement

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Locate & write down all numbers from engine data plate then google engine manufacturer & all numbers, see what you come up with. I would weigh options after making a few calls to certified engine shops for your engine vs new engine, you may get lucky & have a reputable Scag dealer in your area.

Request Rejected click anyway

Milam

Forum Newbie
Threads
I will try this out this evening. Would love to find a new engine for it.

The mower is great. We did not take good care of it.

Thanks,

/s/ Tom

photospherix

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had the same troubles with a Saber Tooth. After going through a second turbo real quick, we decided to replace the motor with a new 35hp Briggs. The engine had almost 3000 hrs on it. After a lot of research, dreaming of a new machine, and not finding the options I was looking for, I took the plunge.

The engine swap took about 5 hrs in the shop to complete. We had to build a new engine plate for the 35hp. By chance, we had just about everything we needed in the shop. We used the 4 original holes from the engine bracket on the 31hp diesel, added 2 more holes closer to the back of the mower. After mounting 2 pieces of angle to the rail and setting the new engine in, we noticed the the mounting bolts hit the frame rail. We adjusted the angle iron to raise the engine 3/4 of an inch higher. This made it possible to put the engine boles in and they will not fall out the bottom while mounting the engine. The Stock muffler will need a little editing as well. The support brackets hit the rear of the mower.

We flushed out the tank a couple times to remove the diesel fuel. We removed the tank vent for now. Then hooked up the fuel to the engine.

The electrical ended up being easier than we thought, but the gauges are not working yet :( That will be a winter project. For now, the positive for the injector pump is running the Fuel solenoid on the carb. This will kill the engine, but not as fast as we would like. I will be building a flip flop circuit to ground out the plugs to kill it fast. It looks like I should be able to get the oil pressure gauge working with a little plumbing. The Sabertooth has a remote sensor location and we just need to plumb the new engine to it. The glow plug relay was removed and the glow plug wires are all stubbed off.

All in, we have about $2500 + time in the engine replacement.

I can not remember the mower working as well as it does now. The next winter project will be adding a sprayer to all of the extra space in the engine bay. The new air cooled engine is about half the depth of the water cooled diesel.